• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why only one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all hunters are ethical; there are many that are the so-called "slob" hunters, and the game commissions know that. You simply must draw the line somewhere to give the animals a fighting chance, is all I'm sayin'. You let one guy have a sidearm, and next thing you know, there'd be guys with braces of pistols; not the types on this site, but the aforementioned types. If you're hunting with a muzzleloader, hunt with a muzzleloader. 'Nuf said.
Be a better shot you only need one. The pistol you carrie should only be use for personal protection.

Be a better shot you only need one. The pistol you carrie should only be use for personal protection.
But that statement is idealistic, instead lets be realistic. Even the best of hunters and marksmen can have situations arise where the animal is hit and goes down but doesn't die quickly or even after a prolonged wait. And that can happen with most of us that aren't perfect. Then a finishing shot is human.
I once shot a nice fat whitetail doe in south-central Kansas, last deer I've shot or even went hunting. I was using my TC Gray Hawk 50 cal. and came on this doe with a yearling spike buck at close range, maybe 30/35 yards at most. Surprised us both! Just as I dropped to a knee to steady and almost simultaneously make my face-on shot she saw my movement and quickly lowered her head under a cedar bow to see me just as the ML fired. My 245 gr. Buffalo Ball-et hit her approx. 12 inches behind her skull and severed her spine. She dropped like flipping off a light switch. After a few seconds of absolutely no movement I walked up and she was breathing and eyes going wild even looking straight at me, no blood except for a small staining around the entrance hole. I reloaded my rifle as quickly as I could (slow) with a half load and instantly stopped her fear.
If I'd had my Lyman's Plains Pistol that torturous time for both of us while I gathered powder, patch, ball and cap could have flowed much much faster.
There are good reasons to carry a second firearm both while hunting and for self defense. What if that harmless doe was a mad boar hog and I missed the spine? A second firearm can save your hide!
But I understand and am sympathetic with your argument statement.

Last edited:
But that statement is idealistic, instead lets be realistic. Even the best of hunters and marksmen can have situations arise where the animal is hit and goes down but doesn't die quickly or even after a prolonged wait. And that can happen with most of us that aren't perfect. Then a finishing shot is human.
I once shot a nice fat whitetail doe in south-central Kansas, last deer I've shot or even went hunting. I was using my TC Gray Hawk 50 cal. and came on this doe with a yearling spike buck at close range, maybe 30/35 yards at most. Surprised us both! Just as I dropped to a knee to steady and almost simultaneously make my face-on shot she saw my movement and quickly lowered her head under a cedar bow to see me just as the ML fired. My 245 gr. Buffalo Ball-et hit her approx. 12 inches behind her skull and severed her spine. She dropped like flipping off a light switch. After a few seconds of absolutely no movement I walked up and she was breathing and eyes going wild even looking straight at me, no blood except for a small staining around the entrance hole. I reloaded my rifle as quickly as I could (slow) with a half load and instantly stopped her fear.
If I'd had my Lyman's Plains Pistol that torturous time for both of us while I gathered powder, patch, ball and cap could have flowed much much faster.
There are good reasons to carry a second firearm both while hunting and for self defense. What if that harmless doe was a mad boar hog and I missed the spine? A second firearm can save your hide!
But I understand and am sympathetic with your argument statement.
I haven't hunted in forever but I do go out plinking. I've been down in Arkansas and when my buddy shot at a rattler we had a couple of wild pigs come running. If we would have had just 1 shot weapons I probably wouldn't be here in one piece.
Not trying to be rude but I'm a pretty fair shot. I will not claim to be able to take on a herd of anything with a 1 shot weapon. If this makes me a clown so be it. I'd much rather be a live clown then a dead great shot!

I haven't hunted in forever but I do go out plinking. I've been down in Arkansas and when my buddy shot at a rattler we had a couple of wild pigs come running. If we would have had just 1 shot weapons I probably wouldn't be here in one piece.
Not trying to be rude but I'm a pretty fair shot. I will not claim to be able to take on a herd of anything with a 1 shot weapon. If this makes me a clown so be it. I'd much rather be a live clown then a dead great shot!
I think we both see each other's point. A single weapon with one shot is the best, but sometimes a second chance to save yourself or put a animal out of fear and pain is good.

If you can always carry and extra weapon if it's legal. Both hunting and for self defense.
I get to play my newbie card again! I hear people say it's may be illegal to carry another weapon when carrying a ML? Why and how can this be? I have never heard that there's a limit to how many weapons a person can carry. It's not like your carrying an Automatic weapon, so how can this be? I have never been told I could only carry 1 weapon.
Can someone please tell me where to look this kinda manure up, Please. I'm perplexed

I get to play my newbie card again! I hear people say it's may be illegal to carry another weapon when carrying a ML? Why and how can this be? I have never heard that there's a limit to how many weapons a person can carry. It's not like your carrying an Automatic weapon, so how can this be? I have never been told I could only carry 1 weapon.
Can someone please tell me where to look this kinda manure up, Please. I'm perplexed
Depends on the individual state game laws I guess. But many states have Constitutional Carry and I think it would be hard to defend outlawing a second weapon for pertection while hunting.

Depends on the individual state game laws I guess. But many states have Constitutional Carry and I think it would be hard to defend outlawing a second weapon for pertection while hunting.
Here it is right out of the book!! Pretty black n white to me.....

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Here it is right out of the book!! Pretty black n white to me.....
Right but what state is that is my question as each state has slightly different regs.
I am only referring to my state, Kansas. Here are the equipment regs for Kansas.
Link: Legal Equipment

“MUZZLELOADERS

Legal muzzleloaders include rifles, pistols or muskets that can be loaded only through the front of the firing chamber with separate components and that fire a bullet of .40 inches in diameter or larger, using hard-cast solid lead, conical lead, saboted, or tumble-on-impact bullets.”

I spoke with the KDW&P managing officer for my area and he further stated the above plus added that even a “Finisher” shot must be with a muzzleloader firearm

Our muzzleloader hunting regulations specify:
A person hunting deer in a muzzleloader deer season shall not possess any firearms other than one single-barreled muzzleloading firearm, and shall not possess or substitute any archery equipment or crossbow while hunting deer under a muzzleloader deer hunting license.
Ok, so I guess my question is .........why are we not able to carry a ML long gun and one ML single shot pistol??? I'm sure historically (I'm guessing) that hunters would have been carrying at least that if not a couple of pistols. And would it not make sense to have a quick follow up shot so an animal wouldn't have to suffer while your reloading ,IF it wasn't a clean shot?? What am I missing, or am I just out of my mind?!?!?!
Government agencies are congenitally devoid of common sense.

Our muzzleloader hunting regulations specify:
A person hunting deer in a muzzleloader deer season shall not possess any firearms other than one single-barreled muzzleloading firearm, and shall not possess or substitute any archery equipment or crossbow while hunting deer under a muzzleloader deer hunting license.
Ok, so I guess my question is .........why are we not able to carry a ML long gun and one ML single shot pistol??? I'm sure historically (I'm guessing) that hunters would have been carrying at least that if not a couple of pistols. And would it not make sense to have a quick follow up shot so an animal wouldn't have to suffer while your reloading ,IF it wasn't a clean shot?? What am I missing, or am I just out of my mind?!?!?!
I haven't read all the replies. In Texas, the thinking from the Parks and Wildlife Board is if they allow you to carry multiple shot weapons or multiple arms, then what's the difference between that and a centerfire repeater? I'm thinking that's the position most states take.

In Texas, you can carry a concealed weapon if you have a CCL. I'm not sure how open carry effects this. But to be fair, most of Texas doesn't have a muzzleloader season. Probably because we're such amazing shots we don't feel handicapped with a muzzleloader!
😇🤣

As to distance, a nationwide survey done years ago said the average range of deer hunters taking deer, with ALL types of firearms is under 50 yards.

A very interesting discussion, and I don't know what we are allowed to do in Montana during our special nine-day muzzleloader season. The country that I hunt at this time has also a few bears and many mountain lions, and when I archery hunt during archery season I am allowed to carry a pistol for protection, and most everyone knows you can't finish off and archery wounded big-game animal with your pistol. There is some fish and wildlife meetings coming up in Montana and I will bring this question up about carrying a pistol during muzzleloader season.
Squint

Right but what state is that is my question as each state has slightly different regs.
I am only referring to my state, Kansas. Here are the equipment regs for Kansas.
Link: Legal Equipment

“MUZZLELOADERS

Legal muzzleloaders include rifles, pistols or muskets that can be loaded only through the front of the firing chamber with separate components and that fire a bullet of .40 inches in diameter or larger, using hard-cast solid lead, conical lead, saboted, or tumble-on-impact bullets.”

I spoke with the KDW&P managing officer for my area and he further stated the above plus added that even a “Finisher” shot must be with a muzzleloader firearm
Sorry , these are Vermont State reg's. Ya know the state that hardly has any gun laws hahaha. No permit to carry concealed or open. So Kansas does not limit you to one muzzleloading gun in the hunting season?

Back