• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why oh why do I ever go anywhere without a ramrod puller??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to shoot out the ram rod, should you point it up in the air so that it lands somewhere down range? With a metal rod, what's the odds of it getting bent while leaving the bore?
Use only about 5-10 grains of powder; not enough to damage anything on the gun, but it should move the rod. If you put some soapy water down from the muzzle, it may soften things up and make it easier. I prefer to use air. No matter what you use; make sure it is pointed in a safe direction. Metal rods can be straightened if you happen to bend one.

Same thing happened to me but I did because I was talking to someone at the time. I put about of cup of oil down the barrel and let it set for about 20 minutes. Then I locked the ramrod into a vice grip with heavy leather around the rod to protect it. I pulled and twisted the barrel as I backed up and it came right out. No damage to the barrel or ramrod.

Well today it's because a nice guy shooting next to me licked up my rifle and decided to wipe the bore with a patch and product. He used the loading end of the ramrod to push it in. Now until I get home in 3 days that ramrod is stuck in there...People mean well.. I've done the same thing and learned better myself. But I don't have my repair kit.. so it rides home stuck.

Sorry but that “nice guy” sounds like a real boob.

I got mine stuck several years ago with no puller. Gentleman named Kelly, next to me asked if he could try. He poured in about half a cup of water then let it sit about 1 minute then pulled it out by hand. We had tried puller, Para cord, leather belt and were reaching for vise grips.

Once I got a patch stuck in my bore when enswipening betwixt discharges, and found a dash of water from my canteen allowed it to come forth briskly, with the addition of a gush of dirty water all over my shirt! 😬

Latest posts

Back