• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why no wooden Colt grips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been trying to purchase a set of wooden grips for either Pietta or Uberti for over six months but no one has any. EMF doesn't even have any listed and Taylor & Co. always has them on backorder. Just wondered if anyone else is expereincing the same?

I've been trying to purchase a set of wooden grips for either Pietta or Uberti for over six months but no one has any. EMF doesn't even have any listed and Taylor & Co. always has them on backorder. Just wondered if anyone else is expereincing the same?
Been having this same issue. The issue of sourcing wood grips has made me hesitant to buy some of the newer Pietta models with plastic grips. The plastic grips would have to go.

Interesting! Guess there's a "wood shortage"! Seriously, though, NC Grips has many fine repro resin grips for all kinds of historic pistols, and I think Gun Grips co. does, too.

They probably don't make "extra" unfitted grips to sell as a spare , they use them all on guns. The Uberti and Pietta plant are probably so busy getting backlogs of guns out to get some $$ flowing they aren't wasting time on grips

The market for custom wood grips for cap and ballers is pretty small.

I know it's obvious but Pietta and Uberti 1873 Colt grips are the same as 51 Navy grips, of those respective makers. 58 Rem aftermarket grips are all over the place.

Ebay has take off grips but they're expensive and they won't obviously be fitted to your gun

I use the "get a grip on it" guy on Ebay when I feel like doing something non-wood with a cap and baller

They probably don't make "extra" unfitted grips to sell as a spare , they use them all on guns. The Uberti and Pietta plant are probably so busy getting backlogs of guns out to get some $$ flowing they aren't wasting time on grips

I know it's obvious but Pietta and Uberti 1873 Colt grips are the same as 51 Navy grips, of those respective makers. 58 Rem aftermarket grips are all over the place.

Ebay has take off grips but they're expensive and they won't obviously be fitted to your gun

I use the "get a grip on it" guy on Ebay when I feel like doing something non-wood with a cap and baller
Check Dixie Gun Works. I believe they have Colt SSA and Uberti wood grips.

Well Taylor and co. lists grips for both Uberti and Pietta Navies and Army's. They are getting in some parts because I have received the rear and trigger straps for a Pietta in steel from them. But it does look like the grips are a very low priority for them to provide. I think I may use Phil Coffins advice and try to make a pair

I do love the "just make them " guys :)

"Where can I get a slim Jim for a Walker?"

Just go buy leather and make one!!

Sir I'm just trying to shoot guns and enjoy an afternoon clouding up my range , not go down a rabbit hole of wood and leatherworking....I'll pay a guy to make them hahaha

Did you try VTI Replica Parts? They show them but I did not check to see if they are in stock.
At one time Dixie has a "kit" that were the two side scales and a spacer to glue together and finish them as you like.
Good Luck
Bunk

Obviously, as noted, the OP simply wanted to buy a set of grips for his pistol. And yet, when shown how he could make a set of grips, was interested in doing so. I love this place, if you just want to shoot, you’ll be encouraged to learn how to do that. If you might be interested in making accoutrements, supplies, parts, or even whole guns you’ll find encouragement for those pursuits as well!

Attachments

• IMG_20220825_111105.jpg
    IMG_20220825_111105.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220825_111223.jpg
    IMG_20220825_111223.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220825_122221-1.jpg
    IMG_20220825_122221-1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks but Dixie has them and only wanted $13. Plus $7.50 for shipping. So for $21 a better price than I was expecting. I’m good.
Well I'm sure it's no shock to all of you but I just found out that the wood grip for an 1851 Uberti will not work on a 1851 Pietta. I did find a grip at Taylors and ordered it but I'm sure ?I'll be getting a next email telling me there are on backordered even though it says in stock.

Latest posts

Back