• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why is everything out of stock??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Covid hit Italy really hard. Strict lockdowns and many deaths. The Italian gun makers pretty much didn’t work for a year or more and haven’t gotten back on track. I’d read somewhere that many of the older craftsmen employed by Pietta and Uberti died during the pandemic.
Makes sense, the Chinese have been there for some years now, taking over the banking and transportation sectors…

"Have you seen those freight carrying ships offshore,the container ships? Today I saw a train with over 300 of those containers just sitting..."

It amazes me when I read this. I don't doubt it's true, but I work right next to an east coast port and watch as they move those ships in and out quicker than I would have thought. Trucks too.

I guess southern boys just know how to work. ;)

Perhaps part of the reason Karma, but I would not bet on it. Everything relating to the shooting sports is in shot supply now of days. As to the hoarders they must be at every vendor store everyday.

It's gotta be a result of Global Climate Change. 😮😧😦😯🙄

Remember when the deceivers called it "Global warming", then it transitioned into "Climate change" after their "Global warming" BS was exposed as lacking in real Science ?

Here I am an Australia bush boy turning 70 in this June and I can testify to one great fact; even when I was a boy we had Droughts, Bushfires, and Floods.

Climate change has always been an integral part of the natural cycle, Learn to live with it.

Have you seen those freight carrying ships offshore,the container ships? Today I saw a train with over 300 of those containers just sitting, like the distributor said "Don't hurry we can't deliver anyway".The transportation and distribution of goods is not running like a well oiled machine. You can blame the fear of Covid but I think there are some "experts" (in Washington) that had their incompetent fingers in it. Just a thought!

There's much contrived by government and those who influence them.

Tough for new people just getting into black powder shooting, rendezvous, or other reenacting. Powder and percussion caps are not to be found around here. Three years ago on Ebay there were pages and pages of all kinds of period reenacting stuff. Not much to speak of now. A lot of the specialty sutlers for reenactors have very little stock. A lot of the people that make these items can't get the materials to make them. On some of the websites 75% of the items are out of stock. Tough out there right now.

Agreed, I looked at the DGW site today and was shocked at how diminished their stock holdings are now, out here in "the colonies" we used to hoard DGW and TOW Catalogues like sacred texts; and ordered what we held as precious ML items; nowadays theres little to nothing available and those that do have a few things are loathe to export them even to long time Allies as we are in Australia.

I've wondered the same thing, we all are guilty of hoarding sometimes, I was in a neighboring town about a month ago that has a good sporting goods store, and I tried to buy some 10 or 11 caps, And of course they didn't have any. Why I would try to buy more is questionable, I know I have more than enough for some years but I guess it's a fear of running out. I can't Imagine having 15,000.
Squint

Here is a color case hardened on midwayusa that says available
29B0B7D1-B40A-41FA-AE14-485C7E656CCD.png

Howdy all. Why in the world is everything back ordered and out of stock? Seems impossible to find a 1858 remington sheriff stainless. I've checked for used, looked up KC's next gun show (months away), been to cabelas and basspro, scoured the internet. The only good thing to come out of all this, is finding this group to learn from and talk about guns. So I guess my first post is just a plea to help me find this dang revolver that seems to be a unicorn at the moment. Really like the look of the Pietta with checkered grip, but hell if I'm a beggar and going to be picky. Thanks in advance!
I think I saw one on Gun Broker, but the starting bid was like $600.

Quote: Tough for new people just getting into black powder shooting, rendezvous, or other reenacting. Powder and percussion caps are not to be found around here. Three years ago on Ebay there were pages and pages of all kinds of period reenacting stuff. Not much to speak of now. A lot of the specialty sutlers for reenactors have very little stock. A lot of the people that make these items can't get the materials to make them.

Folks, you are mostly correct: VERY hard to find primers and some BP supplies Here in Manitou Springs Co, a store was selling primers for a crazy amount of $$. I equate that to at a recent gun show where some guy was selling a 1980's box of 50. .22 cal rimfires for $25. You can call it supply and demand all you want, and speculate about the root causes. But that doesn't help your bottom line if you can't get what you need

But regardless of the cause, you have to start looking at alternatives if you cant personally fix the shortage:, Primers can be made with a simple tool, toy cap gun ribbons and an old beer/soda can that is simple and cheaper than buying primers before the empty shelves. BP is the same: It just takes research and the willingness to be self sufficient. Call hoarders what you will, but they are doing, AHEAD OF A FULL BLOWN SHORTAGE, what they feel is required to stay stocked. There is allot of truth to the saying "One is none, two is one" That saying was made for the event when you are in the **** with no one to bail you out: Think about that scenario, and you can bet that saying is true to the core.

"Woulda, shoulda, coulda"..................... Thinking, "Gee I wish I had planned and practiced more, instead of stating there's a shortage", wont help me now (And it didn't help in the past either)

The italicized quote above isn't a ding on the man the wrote it: But to all, if you see a problem, or a potential one, why wait to approach the problem? You see it, and you know its there: Be self sufficient as most as you can There are PLENTY of websites that describe in detail how to be sufficient (just use your common sense on what to follow, as with any web site)

Get educated, research, and MOST of all, try the possible solutions BEFORE your life or family actually needs them. See what works, what doesn't before you actually need them

I spent 22 years in JSOC, and all the whiz bang stuff we had was great: But it really boils down to the person and preparation

I used to halfway joke: There five things that everyone should learn how to do and practice (In no order):

Start a fire in the rain
Know how to swim
Know how to use a gun
Change a tire
Know how to use a manual shift and clutch
Know how to parallel park :)

If you see an article you like on the net PRINT and place in a binder in doc protectors. If power goes out or the net goes down, you'll need them. Lifesaving advice I don't trust to flash drives or desktops

Yep, allot of folks will read the above and say what a PIA to do all that, or I live in a place where I cant do all or some of the above: I equate that line of thinking as giving up. Its a discipline, period

Ok, I got my asbestos suit on, get out the blamethrowers......... And then use it on yourself if needed when you don't have what you need

Back