• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why is discussion of making ypur own powder frowned upon here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I know of a lot of guys who make their own powder. I'm getting into it myself in order to not get stuck should one of the commercial outfits go under again. The Goex plant going south put everyone in a tizzy. I feel making my own stuff would make that a non issue. I don't see why speaking about making one's own powder should be fought with taboo, as if it's some sinister undertaking. I know some might attempt some nefarious uses of the substance, but I for one am doing it for my muzzleloading hobby only. It would be nice to be able to get tips and tricks for making the use of homemade powder better for the hobby.

I think avoiding it is to keep the forum out of trouble. Don't need some government idiot shutting us down as encouraging terrorist activities. Directly or indirectly our freedom of speech is now in the rear view mirror.
That and liability should somebody blow themselves up based on instructions obtained here.

The channel Everything Black Powder on YouTube has a lot of useful videos. I'm sure discussing it is a liability thing with the website, although we all play with pounds of explosives by choice.
Yep. I've watched most all of his videos. I learned how to corn powder from watching him. And since I have a similar press to his (albeit smaller), I found that info useful.

I'm surprised You Tube hasn't banned videos like his, with their woke policies and all .

Well, I still find it ridiculous that we can't at least talk about making powder. It's not illegal in most states, so why should it be here.

Because that is the rules.

The actual law is open to interpretation, it depends on who you ask. It spends on where you are located. It is a bit like BP storage restrictions. The moderators have taken a position on the subject and that is that.

If liability was a reason this website could not exist. Anyway, rules are rules whether we agree with them or not.

There was a time when you could buy all sorts of gun-related items on eBay but then the nutcase at Sandy Hook bought some 30-round mags there and then the curtain came down on those items due to the liability.

There was a time when you could buy all sorts of gun-related items on eBay but then the nutcase at Sandy Hook bought some 30-round mags there and then the curtain came down on those items due to the liability.
In some States there was a time where yo could get item,s delivered to your door. Then the all encompassing nanny state Ringmasters changed things.

The place that you seek is the cast bullets site. Muzzleloader section at the top is a thread that will teach you all you need to know. This site is pretty cool for what it is but the limitations the stazi put on open discussions of the means of producing the necessary ingredients for this sport is appalling.

Rule 42…

1EBD0609-BA15-4490-B62B-4833BDB34861.jpeg

I know of a lot of guys who make their own powder. I'm getting into it myself in order to not get stuck should one of the commercial outfits go under again. The Goex plant going south put everyone in a tizzy. I feel making my own stuff would make that a non issue. I don't see why speaking about making one's own powder should be fought with taboo, as if it's some sinister undertaking. I know some might attempt some nefarious uses of the substance, but I for one am doing it for my muzzleloading hobby only. It would be nice to be able to get tips and tricks for making the use of homemade powder better for the hobby.
It's liability, but not civil liability as most folks think of when they hear that word. Too many knuckleheads and mentally disturbed persons want to make destructive things, so IF we don't discuss the making of the main ingredient, namely the powder, nor of converting over an antique firearm to shoot "readily available ammunition" then the Administrator who makes the rules (Mods don't make rules, we are referees not the league commissioner) is unlikely to be subpoena'd into a Federal Court for providing access to that information. Let the folks who have such sites worry about that.... The fellow who started this forum decided he was too old for that sort of stress...

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back