• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

why I like shooting muzzle stuffers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
today I shot my cabelas' stainless Hawken style 54. 90-100g ffg and prb gave me a 1.5 inch group at 50m. for 10 shots. i'm ready for bear.
while sitting having lunch it came to me why I enjoy muzzle loaders so much.
instant gratification! I load the powder charge I want to try, smack a projectile on top of it, stick a cap on and shoot.
I don't have to consult a loading manual. I don't have to prep a cartridge, I get results of any change in charge and method instantly.
yeah this kung fu flu lock down has me going stir crazy, but at least I get to shoot all I want!

I don’t reload but when people ask if I do I say yes because I own a muzzleloader and you are a handloder for every shot you can very the powder type charge ball diameter size cast or swaged type of patch shape of patch lube type how much lube loading methods caps or flint sizes and types etc.Ever bit as complex.

today I shot my cabelas' stainless Hawken style 54. 90-100g ffg and prb gave me a 1.5 inch group at 50m. for 10 shots. i'm ready for bear.
while sitting having lunch it came to me why I enjoy muzzle loaders so much.
instant gratification! I load the powder charge I want to try, smack a projectile on top of it, stick a cap on and shoot.
I don't have to consult a loading manual. I don't have to prep a cartridge, I get results of any change in charge and method instantly.
yeah this kung fu flu lock down has me going stir crazy, but at least I get to shoot all I want!
OH!... I thought you said ready for beer!

Most people wouldn't associate 'instant gratification' with muzzleloaders because they take time to load each shot. But you are correct: every shot is like reloading brass for modern guns except it is done on site and for every shot you take. It is a different, slower pace where each loading and shot is careful and appreciated.

Not everyone likes that approach. They think anything slower than slapping in a preloaded magazine is wasted time. Even revolvers are too slow. And they look with horror at the idea that the guns have to be cleaned after each session. :eek: Too bad. They are missing out on a lot of satisfaction (and spending a lot on ammo).

Jeff

OH!... I thought you said ready for beer!
I’m ready for beer

Grab me one too please.
1587186360568.png

Most people wouldn't associate 'instant gratification' with muzzleloaders because they take time to load each shot. But you are correct: every shot is like reloading brass for modern guns except it is done on site and for every shot you take. It is a different, slower pace where each loading and shot is careful and appreciated.

Not everyone likes that approach. They think anything slower than slapping in a preloaded magazine is wasted time. Even revolvers are too slow. And they look with horror at the idea that the guns have to be cleaned after each session. :eek: Too bad. They are missing out on a lot of satisfaction (and spending a lot on ammo).

Jeff
Keep them dry and use the correct lubricant while shooting and you don't need to clean them the same day.

I have always said every game animal taken with a muzzle loader is worth ten from a breach loader.

I enjoy the history behind many of them, maybe that's why I don't care for inlines or modern ones.

A well done long rifle is a work of art from the hands of a craftsman long gone from the world. The military musket could have been the witness to some very important events in history.

By extension, that's probably why I enjoy working on old houses/structures so much as a contractor. I get to become a part of the story of that house for guys 100 years from now so I try to pay attention to details so they won't be saying, what the heck was he thinking?

With me, the admiration and enchantment for the muzzleloader was engrained at an early age. Raised in rural NewJersey in the 60’s, it was shotgun/buckshot only for deer, IMO,useless, except for very specific circumstances. Since muzzleloaders we’re allowed, we quickly found a kit built muzzleloader, once mastered, was far more effective for the typical 20-100 yard distances common to our hunting grounds. When shotgun slugs were eventually allowed, I never bothered, continuing to get my share of deer with my muzzleloaders. 50 years later, while I enjoy competing in sports like PRS, and hunt at long range in the western part of the country with precision centerfires, the muzzleloader continues to be my firearm of choice for deer hunting in the Northeast where ai reside. The ‘allure” will likely follow me to the grave.

With me, the admiration and enchantment for the muzzleloader was engrained at an early age. Raised in rural NewJersey in the 60’s, it was shotgun/buckshot only for deer, IMO,useless, except for very specific circumstances. Since muzzleloaders we’re allowed, we quickly found a kit built muzzleloader, once mastered, was far more effective for the typical 20-100 yard distances common to our hunting grounds. When shotgun slugs were eventually allowed, I never bothered, continuing to get my share of deer with my muzzleloaders. 50 years later, while I enjoy competing in sports like PRS, and hunt at long range in the western part of the country with precision centerfires, the muzzleloader continues to be my firearm of choice for deer hunting in the Northeast where ai reside. The ‘allure” will likely follow me to the grave.
You from joisey? I'm from Joisey!
What exit?
GSPW #117
Gone are the days you could walk down the street past the cop shop with a shotgun in a bag and a pocket full of bird shot shells. I shake my own head at the thought of it. Lol
I miss it though.

I grew up with muzzle loaders, gun and rifle, so I am used to them. Even when I hunt with modern weapons I carry single shots with the old Colt black powder 44 revolver, just in case. I like the hunt, the loading procedure and the smell of muzzle loaders.

Back