• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why I can’t see my sights.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 91 I had a histoplasmosis growth on my right retina. I was right handed and shot right handed. Only cure at the time was the laser and the growth was lasered out. Blind spot in the middle of my right eye, unfixable. Learned to shoot long guns left handed. Took me about a year. Now can't imagine how I shot right handed. I do shoot the short guns right handed. Whatever happens with your problem I'm sure you will overcome the problem.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words from everyone. Oh yea. One other bit of fun. I must sit/sleep/ live face down for 5-7 days! Plus I can’t do anything for 3 weeks.
I've already started canceling my fishing charter customers.
But yes. It will be fine. Lots of others have worse problems.
Went through that living face down for weeks after a detached retina. You can rent a special chair that helps. Best wishes!

Good Luck on the surgery! May you heal quickly with your sight restored.

If it doesn't completely cure the problem, look into Lyman's "EyePal". I'm a bit older, near sighted, and stalling cataract surgery: this small soft plastic diopter pinhole mask sticks to the inside surface of my lens and makes it possible to see the front sight clearly.

Im locked up in Asia because of covid so my prayers are far but on the way, over the skies through the seas. No worries though, God wont let me down, or you. See you out in the forest where you'll be out-shooting us all soon.

You've got my prayers and best wishes, too, TarponStalker. Sounds like you might be a charter/guide in Florida. You are already blessed.
Let us know how it goes. I'd bring over some hot dish if I were closer. Makes sense to rent a chair and maybe a massage-type table for the face-down stretch.

Wish you best of luck with the procedure. Hopefully will be fine soon despite current discomfort.

Want to add for those who have eye issues there are now amazing outpatient procedure to essentially rebuild you eyes. I too got to point i couldn't see my sights and things were getting really dark even in bright sunlight. Thought it was just cataracts but found both corneas and lenses were failing. They now have an out patient procedure to replace them both. Takes about an hour and then you must lie on your back for a day. Result is phenomenal. 100% clarity from 1 foot to infinity with extreme brightness. Only reading glasses needed for close work. Right now i can see folks standing in the park across a 1000' wide river!!!!!!

The doc says surgery went well. I can’t see anything yet but they say that’s normal.
my wife couldn’t believe how many well wishes I received from everyone on this forum. She said “you don’t even know them.” I told her we are a tight group of people that are all friends that just haven’t met yet.
Thank you all again for your prayers and kind words.

I e attached a photo of my “nurse”. She doesn’t leave my side now. I think she knows somethings wrong.
54B649F1-8B3D-46BC-9377-48FE819C1F3D.jpeg

The doc says surgery went well. I can’t see anything yet but they say that’s normal.
my wife couldn’t believe how many well wishes I received from everyone on this forum. She said “you don’t even know them.” I told her we are a tight group of people that are all friends that just haven’t met yet.
Thank you all again for your prayers and kind words.

I e attached a photo of my “nurse”. She doesn’t leave my side now. I think she knows somethings wrong. View attachment 66209
God bless. Glad things are going well so far.

Back