• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

why does flyers happend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crv

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey.
I went to the range with my Great Plains Rifle kal 45 fittet with a quality pep sight and front sight.The riffle was spotless the patches and the bullits and powder the same every shot.I shot a tight group in the 10 ring with 5 shots and then suddenly i shot 3 shots also in a very tight group 3 inches higher .Any god reson for that.I had a wery steady rest and no wind

Is your rifle new? The barrel might need to be broken in some. You might also need to wipe the bore after a few shots.

Did you sight picture change slightly after the first group of shots? There are lots of variables to consider. :hmm:

Sounds like the light changed. Was it darker (cloudier) when you fired the first five than it was when you shot the last three?

Did you check the sights to make sure they din't come loose? If not the sights, then is everything else tight as it should be?

junkman_01 said:
Any good reason for that?

Operator error. :doh:

I went to the range yesterday and I was shooting a known good load that will make one ragged hole at thirty yards. I moved the target to 50 yards and I was all over the paper (and off the paper LOL) with the same exact load.

It was just one of those days where nothing would come together. I :surrender: and went home.

Just one of those days

Bob

Did you change anything for the last few shots?
Sounds to me like more lube on the last ones or less friction some how.
Lots of varibles, it happens to me also.
David

you must have changed something.....more/less powder, lighter balls, rifle hotter, more/less lube, peep sight change,different holding (shoulder/cheek), wiped more/less etc.

Fliers are usually your fault! I love to go to the range and shoot along side those new fangled ones, (you know the unspeakable in!*%es.

And then see how many fliers they got to my open sights. It usually boils down to consistency in loading, breathing and squeeeeeezing the shot off.

A scope gives the false confidence that you can skip all this. Just because you can see better don't mean you can do away with the basics if you want a good shot!

Did you guys not read his post? He didn't have any fliers. He had two tight groups, one high and one low. There is a possiblity that he lowered his head closer to the stock for the last three shots, but most likely the light changed drastically. If it didn't, he changed the position of his eye in relation to his sight.

A single flier, sure, any of the above could've happened as well as a void in the ball. But a tight 3 shot group is something different.

Thanks for all your input.I was using Tripple seven andd did not clean between shots.I used pre lubed patches and swaged round bullits.a TC Thomson pep sight and Hornady globe front sigth.the powder was from same container.and i was using a steady rest.5 shots in a wery tight group at point at aim and 1 group 2-3 inches higher. also wery tight.The riffle has seen a lot off action from old owner but is in great shape.

KanawhaRanger said:
Did you guys not read his post? He didn't have any fliers. He had two tight groups, one high and one low. There is a possiblity that he lowered his head closer to the stock for the last three shots, but most likely the light changed drastically. If it didn't, he changed the position of his eye in relation to his sight.

A single flier, sure, any of the above could've happened as well as a void in the ball. But a tight 3 shot group is something different.

crv said:
Hey.
I went to the range with my Great Plains Rifle kal 45 fittet with a quality pep sight and front sight.The riffle was spotless the patches and the bullits and powder the same every shot.I shot a tight group in the 10 ring with 5 shots and then suddenly i shot 3 shots also in a very tight group 3 inches higher .Any god reson for that.I had a wery steady rest and no wind

Sorry I guess I didn't read it close enough but his terminology is wrong.

Shooting a tight group in one position on a target and the next shots are also a tight group they just moved up. That is not considered a flyer!

That is a change in POI (point of impact) usually caused by a change in POA (point of aim). That may have been caused by changing the amount of the blade you were taking in your sight picture. May have been caused by the light changing, sunny to cloudy, etc.!
Possibly caused by a dirty barrel but that is more likely to cause a flyer IMO!

Not familar with the GPR. Is the peep sight attached to the barrel or does it have a removable barrel system and the sight is attached to the tang?

If its the Lyman peep it fits on the tang and the GPR is a hook breech type rifle. I had the same problem with my GPR when I went to the same sight. Since the sights are on two different pieces movement of one will change poi and it only takes a few thousandts of an inch to make it happen. FRJ

Fliers explained -

"Wait for it........wait for it......here it comes......crosswind, NOW!"

olympian.jpg

Hey, you got a better explanation?

RedFeather said:
Fliers explained -

"Wait for it........wait for it......here it comes......crosswind, NOW!"

olympian.jpg

Hey, you got a better explanation?

Yes. Crosswinds don't cause vertical deviations. See above.

Latest posts

Back