• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why Dawn Dish detergent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the early days of the m/l rabbit hole , a popular all vegetable base cleaner to rid your bore of B/P fouling was Murphy's oil soap. The mixture was a 1/2 cup Murphy's to a gallon of warm water. Some folks even used it for patch lube.

No but we have some still pictures on my wifes I pad, Ill try and get one and post it. Actually the kitten was so small it really wasn't a problem. We washed it every day for three days and every third day for two weeks. The first time the water turned completely red from the blood from the bites and we got over forty fleas off of it, the next day we got twenty plus, the third day we got five. After that we washed it every third day to get rid of any eggs. It was abanded in our barn by the mother cat and after having it crawl around meowing for four hours we realized the mother wasn't coming back for it. We fed it with an eye dropper a mixture of milk, egg yoke, and a few drops of olive oil.
Ok, off topic... but what became of the kitten?

16311.png

Like most things, you get what you pay for, if you're lucky. Dawn brand costs more than some but it averages out because it is more concentrated. It may be that they have watered their "recipe" down a bit. Still pretty good stuff compared to others.

Once, when I was a poor student, money would get pretty tight at times. I decided to try Dawn for shampoo. Worked real good, just a couple drops needed, thought I was a genius. Yeah ... no, don't try to use it too often for that purpose.

Dawn is not a soap, it's a detergent, there is a difference. I also like the Ajax brand dish liquid. It does a good job for less money.

I use to use Dawn diluted with water in a bucket. After a days revolver shooting, just dropped the cylinder and barrel assembly into the bucket and let it sit for a few minutes. Works great. A little brush scrubbing to the spindle and frame, and your done. I would use an air hose and blow dry the parts, oil, and re-assemble. All goes pretty quick.

Automobile buffs use Dawn when they decide to re-wax their cars. For this instance, they would use Dawn in place of their regular concentrated car wash. Something in Dawn immediately dissolves old carnauba wax. That way, you have a true dry surface to apply a fresh wax coat. I've used it for this for years. It works well. LOL

Rick

Why bother using any soap. I run a brush down the barrel several times to remove as much caked-on crud and dump the crud out of the barrel each time. Then I remove the lock, then plug the touch hole and pour plain boiling water down the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes. I then pull out the touch hole plug and let the water (will be very black) drain out. Repeat several times until the water turns clear. The barrel will dry-out in a few minutes due to the temperature the barrel gets using this process buy I will run a dry patch just to check. Then I run a patch down the barrel that is coated with" bore butter" or other lube of your choosing. This is for my smooth bore .62 cal. With my .58 cal. percussion, the only difference is I remove the lock nipple an attach a small hose to drain out the barrel. Have been doing this for over twenty years with no rusting in my barrel's. This is easy to do when I was sitting around a camp fire while at a weekend Re-enactment after a battle firing 40 to 60 rounds of powder. We all sat and cleaned our Brown Bess's this way.

Ajax for dishes has been used by motorcycle mechanics as a grease remover sine the early fifties.

most liquid soaps have an acid base and most solid soaps have a sodium hydroxide (Lye), Potassium Hydroxide base that is why most soaps in undiluted form will oxidize steel

Works, is available, and boiling hot water is cheap, heats the bore, and evaporates quickly from the hot metal. Also effective. Rarely use anything else. Light oil down the bore, and I'm good to go.

Back