• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why Dawn Dish detergent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know that it's "better" than anything else, but Dawn is the best-selling dishwashing liquid in the US, so lots of people know about it. In fact, I'd say Dawn has become nearly as synonymous with dishwashing soap here as Kleenex has become synonymous with facial tissue or Q-Tip with cotton swabs. "Throw some Dawn in the mix" is easier than "Throw some liquid dishwashing detergent in the mix." :dunno: :thumb:
I think the answers here is in the optics of those environmentalists washing that cute little duckling in dawn! Big oil bad. Cute duck good!

The absolute bestes bore cleaner available anywhere............it's ok :D

Attachments

• qwjddniq7vhtzzhu.jpg
    qwjddniq7vhtzzhu.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 73
Dawn was shown being used to remove crude oil from animals during the ExxonMobil Valdez in 1989. Since then it has been tagged as a harmless oil remover.

I have always used Ivory bar soap .....scrape off a few chunks into hot water. I learned this somewhere but at my age who knows.

Any grease cutting soap will do the job cleaning muzzleloaders--Dawn just happens to be handy, so I use it. Another use is mix it in a bucket of water and pour it on fire ant mounds--make sure to use enough to reach the queen and that mound is dead in a few hours because it strips the oils from insect exoskeletons.

In undiluted form it is quite corrosive to ferrous metals, especially if allowed to sit on it for any lenght of time. Will also cause copper and it`s alloys to oxidize
i use it on dishes, my black powder guns, and also degrease car parts with it.

Back