• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are shoulder stocks so popular on the replica 1860 Army and 3rd Model Dragoons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I m big on the historical perspective on all of this. Meaning, Back then it was state of the art etc. When the 'Attachable Carbine Breech', came out, it was a novel enhancement which contributed to the already awe inspiring Colts repeaters. They weren t cumbersome in the sense, they were used to this kind of tech at the time. I have historical accounts of its testing and so on. The military was big on ordering and having them assigned (issued). With specifics as to how they wer to be carried etc.

Anyway, I have stocked '60 Armys and a 3rd Dragoon. It offers slight but noticable aim stability. Accuracy isn t increased more than the ability to stabilize ones aim faster, and to hold it longer. Which translates into accuracy. So, yeah. More accurate too. Colt claimed accuracy and power were increased due to the less barrel flexing. The '60 is v e r y stable. The Dragoon still kicks hard. Too much fun though. I love it! Great care must be observed though. Face fragged with powder and cap bits is going to happen. Also one must keep the hands behind the cylinder face.

I ll put some photos here later.

Here are some pictures,-

1- A pouch for the stock I made
2- Stock is in pouch. 2nd Gen fluted Army
3- Belt clip attached carry
4- Boom!

Attachments

• 2019-07-22 17.57.29.jpg
    2019-07-22 17.57.29.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 2019-02-03 12.40.43.jpg
    2019-02-03 12.40.43.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20180926_150625.jpg
    20180926_150625.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 120
  • 2019-05-28 20.45.28.jpg
    2019-05-28 20.45.28.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 122
Here are some pictures,-

1- A pouch for the stock I made
2- Stock is in pouch. 2nd Gen fluted Army
3- Belt clip attached carry
4- Boom!
WHERE are your safety glasses? With all the Carbonized Randomly Accelerated Particles (manure) that a cap gun throws around any way glasses are a must. Moving the manure dispenser closer to you face you REALLY need eye.protection.
You can shoot deaf, but you can't shoot blind.
Respectfully
Bunk

Considering your response to my post, how would you catagorize me,-

Sharp as a marble
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball

Oh! and show a little respect. Be nice and choose only O N E !

Hey! You didn t choo , , Oh! You re someone different.

Nearly 40 years of shooting experience, several branches of the military and and and , , all this parental, supervisory criticisms , ,.

Fore go it.

Considering your response to my post, how would you catagorize me,-

Sharp as a marble
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball

Oh! and show a little respect. Be nice and choose only O N E !
none of the above, just careless/thoughtless. I had to discard my old safety glasses because they were so pitted my vision ( such as it is) was definitely bothered my shooting. which was as good an excuse as any.

Alright then all. I m here to participate in this great passion, and keeping history alive and active. Not to impart wrecklessness or whatever. I won t post any more photos that may imply wrecklessness or lack of safety etc.

B P Arn, gladly! Now this I can do! I love to share and have shared details of how to have fun with all this.

Alright. Hang on.

Are they that popular? I have two of them one for an 1851 Navy bought on sale and one for an1860 Army I bought just for the heck of it..
Both have been in the back of the safe for a long time and I just got the Army one out when all this started to see what it was like.
It was interesting I guess and my 50 yard target took some hits, but that cap flash in my face was no fun.
The Army is now cleaned and the stock is back on the shelf.
Doubtful they will be used again any time soon.
Respectfully
Bunk

Alright then all. I m here to participate in this great passion, and keeping history alive and active. Not to impart wrecklessness or whatever. I won t post any more photos that may imply wrecklessness or lack of safety etc.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Some folks will get "the vapors" when someone posts a picture of a shooter with their finger on the trigger.

^^^ Bunk, let me know if you want to send that 1851 down the river. :D .
That thing is over 40 years old before dates were stamped on guns. That was bought from DGW back in the DuPont powder/corrosive cap days. In the armory is a match conditioned 1851 Navy Uberti that has had the full Goon Gun Shoppe treatment. the only leaf spring in the main spring everything else is coil springs and has a dove tailed front sight.
Good shooter, but I have about six other projects going on and don't have time right now to shoot it. This fall perhaps.
Bunk

Last edited by a moderator:
alright,

here is , , showing the two ways I clip the stocked pistols (Army/Dragoon). One way is to my belt, via a spring wire belt clip, the other is a cross shoulder support (which is primarily used to help support the holstered, belt carried Walkers and Dragoons).

Attachments

• 2020-09-25 20.39.35.jpg
    2020-09-25 20.39.35.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2020-09-25 20.41.19.jpg
    2020-09-25 20.41.19.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 89
Above, it was asked,- 'Are they that popular?' For me, firing a stocked Dragoon and Army (I don t have a stocked Navy) is magical! The dynamic of it , , the firing, how it feels, the recoil and feeling of it , ,. Yeah.

It takes a while to get into the feeling for it. I mean it takes a bit to get used to firing them, where one gets conditioned to it etc. After this 'learning curve', . I m quite good with it. Accuracy etc. I fire all my Colts long range. I m quite good at 50yds! with the pocket pistols. 75 and a hundred yards with the holster pistols.

Anyway, the Stock on them, makes them into little carbines ('Attachable Carbine Breech Stock').

With all of this discussion going on about shoulder stocks, I decided I needed to get to the range with mine this morning.

I shot my Second Generation Colt 1860 with shoulder stock, and my Uberti Griswold & Gunnison (no shoulder stock for it) revolvers. At 50 yards the Colt shoots about 16"high. The G&G shoots to point of aim.

I use 40 grains of FFFg in the .44 caliber 1860, and 18 grains of FFFg in the brass framed .36 caliber G&G. Home-cast round ball in both.
20200926_084003.jpg

alright,

here is , , showing the two ways I clip the stocked pistols (Army/Dragoon). One way is to my belt, via a spring wire belt clip, the other is a cross shoulder support (which is primarily used to help support the holstered, belt carried Walkers and Dragoons).
Great way to go. Thanks for posting.

I made a new J-hook for my 1860 Army stock so it will work on a Navy frame. The next time I have the bluing tanks going, I will blue the new J-hook.

I have an 1851 barrel also for the Uberti Colt 1861 36 caliber revolver shown in the pictures.

100_6769.JPG

100_6770.JPG

100_6768.JPG

Here is the stock on my Colt 1860 Army...
100_5798.JPG

Attachments

• 100_6768.JPG
    100_6768.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back