• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are shoulder stocks so popular on the replica 1860 Army and 3rd Model Dragoons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not able to drag and drop pics from the gun sites now, here's one I took with my cellphone. Seller is asking $3000.00 for the set.

tJ5ISGgh.jpg

Do you have any photos of the stock? Pics are worth a fortune!

Well I guess it goes to show the best use of these stocks are for showing off to others on the boards. In real world applications, they seem about useless. No wonder Sam Colt couldn’t sell any of them and the ones that did get in the field were quickly thrown into the nearest ditch.
0050997C-27CA-4E78-8A90-E6D669777731.gif

You might be right Smokey Plainsman. An historical but largely impractical pistol accessory that, in some small circles remains a curiosity to this day.

Well I guess it goes to show the best use of these stocks are for showing off to others on the boards. In real world applications, they seem about useless. No wonder Sam Colt couldn’t sell any of them and the ones that did get in the field were quickly thrown into the nearest ditch. View attachment 43627

Well I guess it goes to show the best use of these stocks are for showing off to others on the boards. In real world applications, they seem about useless. No wonder Sam Colt couldn’t sell any of them and the ones that did get in the field were quickly thrown into the nearest ditch. View attachment 43627

You are entitled to your opinion.
Not able to drag and drop pics from the gun sites now, here's one I took with my cellphone. Seller is asking $3000.00 for the set.

tJ5ISGgh.jpg

That is not recent replica wood. However, the J-hook housing is too short for the 1860 Army grip, and would fit the 1851 Navy much better. I saved that photo for my shoulder stock photo collection. Thanks for posting that photo!

Regards,

Jim

Sourdough, now I'm really confused. I agree with what you said about the J-hook being too short for an 1860, yet the mounting system
I am not the best at organization of files on my computer. When I see something that has photos I create a folder concerning it and hope to heck I can remember where it can be found in my 68-year-old mind...

(snip)

...I also have many photos of handmade shoulder stocks, several from Eastern Europe if you folks want me to post them.

I know I am probably the only one anal enough here to be interested to the depth I have taken this subject. My original quest was for information about shoulder stocks for a Dragoon revolver, but my Internet search has taken me much further.

Addictions are just that.

You folks stay safe and have a good night.

Regards,

Jim
Yes, please do post those pictures of the handmade Eastern European shoulder stocks.

Did you see a photo of it?

I agree if the repro stock the guy is selling is a modern run-of-the-mill Pietta wood. However, I have found a few 20th century stocks that are worth considerably more than $300, one of which I own. The wood is dark stained tiger stripe maple. I challenge anyone here to come up with a similar stock, and I paid only $450 for the entire cased set. I think it's worth $900.

Not making fun of your post. Colt actually produced canteen type 1860 Army shoulder stocks that consisted of a metal canteen container sandwiched between two hollowed out stock halves. Very rare and worth quite a bit of $$$.

Regards,

Jim
Holy manure, they did. Lol.

Here is a video on it and touching on stocks in general.

What a great vid, thanks for posting! Have you ever seen the wire shoulder stock for Colt SAA’s ? That version of the shoulder stock seems the most practical to me as there isn’t any cap blowback to contend with.
Holy manure, they did. Lol.

Here is a video on it and touching on stocks in general.

Last edited:
I would suspect that a trooper on a moving horse could get off a more accurate shot with the stock against his shoulder than with the revolver bobbing around in his hand.
No personal knowledge just sayin'.
Bunk

Have you ever seen the wire shoulder stock for Colt SAA’s ?

There is a guy on some forum that was very enthused about this subject. As usual, I saved photos. I don't recall where he obtained it.

It does not use the 4th screw; rather it can be used on any Navy/Army/Remington repro 3-screw/4-screw revolver as it utilizes the extended 2-headed hammer screw to secure the yoke. IMO, very ingenious as it does not require a certain size backstrap. One size fits all.

IMO, It is just flat ugly but functional, very well designed as nearly a universal fit.

I think it would fit an SAA with no problem if the original hammer screw is replaced and there is an aperture on the bottom of the backstrap to accommodate the J-hook.

Shoulder_Stock_1_DSC1958.jpg
Shoulder_Stock_1_DSC1958b.jpg

Regards,

Jim

^^^ Definitely!!!

Thanks for posting.

IMHO, I think the folks who created these shoulder stocks were interested in using them with their revolvers. They are obviously not correct insofar as Colt Type 3 stocks, and I think they must have used damaged stocks, maybe missing parts, or just used their skills to create them. They were obviously not trying to emulate the original Colt stocks, and again, I think they created them to use them. In my mind, I cannot think of another reason for them to do so.

Push back.

Regards,

Jim

IMHO, I think the folks who created these shoulder stocks were interested in using them with their revolvers. They are obviously not correct insofar as Colt Type 3 stocks, and I think they must have used damaged stocks, maybe missing parts, or just used their skills to create them. They were obviously not trying to emulate the original Colt stocks, and again, I think they created them to use them. In my mind, I cannot think of another reason for them to do so.

Push back.

Regards,

Jim
I am certain similar stock were made here when people had a handgun, some wood and hardware, a desire for a carbine, and time on their hands.

Now that Pietta is making an 1851 with a 12" buntline barrel, the Colts can be held to shoot more accurately with a stock attached.
Here's a video of 2 Remington 12 inch Buffalo models being fired very accurately with the attached stocks.
The Colts can be configured to shoot similarly.

This video shows how easy it is to attach a stock to an 1851 Colt that doesn't have cutouts once the hammer screw extension is installed:

Here's an 1851 Navy Buntline 12" barrel with stock being fired.

Last edited:
Back