• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are shoulder stocks so popular on the replica 1860 Army and 3rd Model Dragoons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like fun!

When I tried my newly made J-hook for the first time with my 36 caliber Uberti Colt 1861, I noticed that the lower rear end of the grip touched the back of the stock, so I added a weld about 1/8 inch thick. It worked, but does not look nice, but the added weld cannot be seen when the J-hook is in place, so I'm happy. I have a 5-1/2 inch long 1851 barrel on order for the 1861 36 caliber revolver shown in the pictures. That will "convert" the 1861 to 1851, yet still allow me to use my 1860 detachable stock (with short J-hook), and my stock has not been modified in any way, and still works in my 1860 Colt when I use the original J-hook.

I plan to shoot it soon.

Did you see a photo of it?

I agree if the repro stock the guy is selling is a modern run-of-the-mill Pietta wood. However, I have found a few 20th century stocks that are worth considerably more than $300, one of which I own. The wood is dark stained tiger stripe maple. I challenge anyone here to come up with a similar stock, and I paid only $450 for the entire cased set. I think it's worth $900.

Not making fun of your post. Colt actually produced canteen type 1860 Army shoulder stocks that consisted of a metal canteen container sandwiched between two hollowed out stock halves. Very rare and worth quite a bit of $$$.

Regards,

Jim

Bump for an interesting, but old thread.
Thanks for the reminder! And… man, wasn’t @sourdough Jim a heck of a class gentleman? We’ll not see his like again...

B3C7A25D-29F4-4877-A4BE-64F8962049D8.jpeg

Attachments

• A3B39B82-612F-4731-9BB1-BFA13EB093D5.jpeg
    A3B39B82-612F-4731-9BB1-BFA13EB093D5.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 0
I almost got this one a week ago, but the seller withdrew it because a family member wanted it. It is an Armi San Paolo 1860 Army (AE/1979)

Fun to hear about an ASP. My wife gave me the NMA she got back in the 70s, its a 1976 Date. It had a timing issue that I have solved, its by far the smoothest mechanism of the 3 I have (Pietta NMA 2023 - ROA circa 96 and the ASP NMA.)

Back