• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are or aren't you an NMLRA member?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I became a life member of the NMLRA a few months ago. I also have contributed to the 1 of 1,000.

The annual cost of membership of $40 is certainly not very much money.

The NMLRA is the largest ML association in the USA and does a lot to help support and promote our sport. Everyone on this list benefits from the NMLRA. Directly or indirectly.

The NMLRA is not perfect. I can make the choice to gripe about it or do my part to help make it better.

My pickup is mostly loaded and ready to head out to Friendship.

Going to Friendship is something that my 19 year old son and I look forward to every year. Some of my best friends that I will see in a few days are the results of the NMLRA.

I also realize that my youngest son's time to come with me most likely will change as he graduates from college, finds a job and starts a family and lives wherever a job takes him. I cherish my time at Friendship with my son shooting the guns that we love.

The below shooting box is one that my son, with some help from me built to donate to the banquet Sunday night. The box is built out of a cherry tree that we logged off of our farm.

Fleener

Fleener

My problem is that it's so Eastern-centric there's really almost nothing for this Westerner interested in Western traditions AFTER all the interesting people abandoned the East to migrate west starting about 1800. Move the "Friendship" gathering to Montana or Idaho every other year for a Western Rhony and see what happens to their membership and Western participation. Leave it in the East, and they'll always have trouble with Western membership.

Move the "Friendship" gathering to Montana or Idaho every other year for a Western Rhony and see what happens to their membership and Western participation. Leave it in the East, and they'll always have trouble with Western membership.

There is a good point there for any large organization. I belong to an "umbrella organization" that stages rather large reenactments. Well about 10 years ago all the large events were New York centric..., because the guys in charge were located in or near New York, and they didn't like to drive long distances. They couldn't figure out why the larger units or even more individuals living South of PA didn't attend events and participation was dwindling. :shake:

New leadership decided there would be a large "northern" event and a large "southern" event each year, PLUS smaller "test" events in both the North and South areas to try out new sites....and gee look at all the people that flocked back to the events, and wow..., new members appeared too. Huh...
:doh:

Maybe the NMLRA could, every third year, move the Friendship event if not every other year?

"Gee our hobby is losing members and is now full of old guys"
"Maybe stop catering to just the old guys?"

OH and since I couldn't come up with an answer to the OP that suits myself, on Friday, payday, I will join.....

LD

Have to agree with Brown Bear. They should move the Rondy's to different parts of the country. Friendship is a long haul for me here in the east too. I am a member, but every year i question myself as to why? I like the magazine, and feel I should support the organization that promotes muzzleloader shooting, but as many have said in this thread already, money is short, and maybe what little money I have to spare could be better directed to the NRA.

Art, congratulations on your Friendship tradition with your son. That's a lovely gear box you built.
I'll admit the prospect of being in Indiana in the summer has never had one iota of appeal to this Westerner, especially as it is a 1,400-mile drive one way, but I do note that there is a hell of a Western National NMLRA shoot in early March at Ben Avery in Phoenix -- seven hours away. Maybe next year.
Something I find odd on a forum like this is the tone of near-resentment for the NMLRA. I just don't get it. Indifference is one thing, but irritation? Come on, guys.

Can ya get the magazine w/o membership? I Do not resent em at all, like others have posted I would get more outta buying a pound of powder (other then the magazine)

I joined NMLRA several years ago when I lived in Indiana. I attended every spring and fall match at Friendship and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Now, I live in Texas and have a much smaller chance of finding like-minded friends with whom to shoot. I have found a few but, I have found no NMLRA matches nor affiliated clubs near me. I wish there were some here. Still, I keep my NMLRA membership because I enjoy the monthly magazine and I want to support muzzleloading in America. I now belong to NMLRA for the same reason I belong to NRA, to support my hobbies. :thumbsup:

Speaking of "nothing but old guys," if you mention "muzzle loader" to the younger guys nowadays, they automatically think you are talking about the unmentionables. :doh:

I just don't join organizations anymore, too old, don't enjoy the magazines, and I am not deeply involved with B/P, even though I am always building a gun and hunt exclusively with my flinters.

Back when I was younger I was heavily involved in a lot of archery and hunting related causes. I ran archery clubs and hunting clubs for at least 20 years; the bottom line; I burned out. Anyone who has done the same understands that once you take the reins you are the one who does most of the work. No more joining anything for me.

Eric Krewson said:
Back when I was younger I was heavily involved in a lot of archery and hunting related causes. I ran archery clubs and hunting clubs for at least 20 years; the bottom line; I burned out. Anyone who has done the same understands that once you take the reins you are the one who does most of the work. No more joining anything for me.

I have to agree, been there done that!
In my case it was "life" that always seemed to get in the way and be my priority.

Complacency , poor excuse.What if that was the attitude back in the early 1800? Where would we be?

There are a few NMLRA chapter clubs in Texas, but being a big state, I guess it depends where you live in relation to those clubs. They are listed in Muzzle Blasts.

I think the membership price is the greatest drawback. Question- of those who belong, how many of you participate in competitive shooting? To some extent I think there is a thought that the high membership price underwrites the costs of holding competitive shoots. So...if you are just interested in muzzle loading, a high price for essentially a magazine.

The shoots generate income for the Association, not the other way around. The cost of the membership in nothing compared to the cost of everything I do with shooting my muzzleloader!
As far as the magazine goes well... it is something that goes with membership...

Michael

I should complain about the magazine as much as I do, because I do look forward to reading it.
I hope I get my magazine today. I am looking forward to reading the shoot results for the Western.
Michael

They won’t let me join ... as I blow down the barrel after I shoot ... Besides, like W.C. Fields once said ”Any group that would have me as a member ... I don’t want to be a part of ...” ... said in jest :surrender: ...

That said, I buy 1 or more ”˜used’ muzzleloading rifles a year, fix ”˜em up, re-finish them - whatever - and then give them to kids as a prize at the local Winter snowshoe/muzzleloading primitive biathlon shoots.

Life Member - NRA (Federal) and GOAL (State)

Latest posts

Back