• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's getting pumped up?????????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jrmflintlock said:
Photos like NWTFHunter's really get me going!!

Damn I hate Nevada!! I need to get out of here to someplace with turkeys!!!

Life with no turkeys jrm?

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

Tell Me about it!! Hunting Mountain Meriam's in New Mexico with a flintlock was a challenge but supper addicting. I Am trying my darnedest to get to someplace with thunder chickens!

What I love about Turkey hunting is the interaction with the game! Like Hunting elk during the Rut but without all the hard work when the hammer falls!

I'm hoping to get to Oregon on April 16 to try and find some birds!

Where I went last time in Oregon had a major winter kill according to my sources! SO I'm looking for new ground!

You ain't kidding. I think I'm more grateful that turkeys don't have a deer's sense of smell than I am that deer don't have a turkey's vision. Turkey hunting is tough enough, it's nice not worrying about wind direction too.

Skychief said:
In a month and a half, the State of Indiana will see fit that my turkey hunting itch may be scratched.

I'm getting pumped thinking ahead to warm sunny mornings with the toms blasting gobbles off the hillsides, near and far!!! :thumbsup:

Any of you black powder nuts getting pumped too???

"It won't be long, it won't be long, it won't be long".....my strategy of dealing with the wait is to keep up this chant. I don't do yoga, and would look strange in the tights anyway. :haha:

Best regards, Skychief

I'm super pumped for turkey season this year. I chase Merriam's up in the foothills of Colorado every year.

OT: Where are you in Indiana? I lived in West Lafayette for a few years working on my PhD at Purdue. Hunted turkeys down south in Hoosier National Forest.

Like someone else said, I don't currently own a muzzleloading shotgun. My primary rifle is a 54cal Cabela's/Investarms. Could a guy simply buy a smoothbore/shotgun barrel and drop it in???

A Boilermaker, huh? :hmm:

I'm about 15 minutes from I.U. :haha:

I don't know about dropping a barrel in the gun. Plenty of smoothbores are for sale everyday. You've not turkey hunted until you've chased them around with a muzzleloader. Good luck with those Merriams this Spring and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

We are officially waterlogged in my part of Indiana.

As such, the turkeys are coming out of the woodwork!

I must have seen a hundred plus today while on the road for work. :thumbsup:

Am I still pumped up? What do you think?!?! :surrender:

Won't be much longer, won't be much longer, won't be much longer, won't be much longer, won't be much...................

Yer gettin yerself all worked up and foaming and such. DO NOT shoot one opening morning, or weekend even. Then you'll fall into a deep depression cuz yer hunts over! When in a deep depression one sits on the toilet too long with a bad magazine full of muzzleloaders for sale and ends up buying one. That raises the per pound cost of the turkey dinner from $19.95 to way over $39.95 a pound :shake:

:blah:

I didnt draw :( but been thinking about headin out just to call a bit and maybe photo one or two. Practice makes perfect

turkey1.JPG

turkey%204.JPG

turkey%202.JPG

Boss%20Gobbler%202.JPG

Love the photos Longhunter!
Anyone who thinks spring turkey season is easy just hasn't done it, or just got lucky.
Like they say, "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while." :haha:
I'm a gonna give it a try in the AM.

Turkey in the fall is the easiest there is if you can be still. AND if the turkeys are in the right time slot in the breeding season. If the turkeys are not in the proper mood ya just about aint gettin a turkey!

Jimbo, the only thing I have against turkeys is that ya' gotta kill 'em 'fo ya' can eat 'em.

I have yet to be a blind hog or squirrel! Aaarrgh.... :idunno: :v:

I've been deer hunting & sitting in a ground stand on several occasions when a line of turkeys just walked casually by me within less than 20 yards. Once, a flock of around 30 slowly made their way past me noisily scratching, loudly jabbering and clucking. Must have taken them half an hour to cross the logging trail and get out of sight. But not out of hearing. I still heard the noisy girls for a long time after that; they were LOUD. Unfortunately, now get this, each time I saw turkey in the fall the season was NOT in! Here in Va. the season is chopped up so badly it's open in "spots" all fall.

NWTF..... a few of those gobblers have about the longest spurs I have seen

I have two full mounts and one half mount that were 1st place contest winners against modern shotgunners.

They score by the weight of the bird, plus length of the beard then length of the spurs X 3 then ad the numbers together for a total score. I won two years in a row with gobblers killed with flintlock fowlers with open bore.

Turkey_shoppe%202.JPG

Latest posts

Back