• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who will now make your BP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have to I will try to make my own powder. I'd rather that than simply give up a hobby that I love. It's not illegal to make your own powder is it?

I hope someone steps up, although the Minden plant has had issues. Maybe it is time for "boutique" black powder producers to toss a hat in the ring. If a startup can come up with the virtual equivalent of Curtis and Harvey's Diamond Grade No. 6, I'll be a big fan.

Ok, some quick research and now I understand. 1 parent company running production in multiple locations. Don't know why I didn't know this. Guess the fact that I've pretty much used Goex didn't have me looking at European powders...but I am now!

Have always had difficulty getting Black Powder here where I live so have been making my own for close on 30 years. Finally on the weekend had the chance to run a shot over a Chrony with about 85 grains of Homemade powder the read back was 1861FPS. My chart tells me 80 Grains of FF Goex should produce 1777FPS and 90 Grains 1891FPS so I have to say I`m pretty happy with the home brewed though I still use Goex FFF or FFFF in the pan.
Its not rocket science.

When I retired I bought a case of goex so I would have a good supply, then my nephew paid me for some cabinet work with 1/2 case. I next ordered a case of KIK when I got down low enough to stay under fifty lbs. I figured I would be well supplied for rendezvous and hunting. Then the local clubs started to fold due to higher costs and less people coming so my supply is going to last a long time. While I am well supplied, many aren't and the shooting events are becoming less and less.I feel like the girl with a new party dress and no where to go!.
I bought a case of KIK a few years back, I like it! Maybe the manufacturer will reopen that facility and start producing it again? But that's still foreign made and its import could be banned in the same way Russian ammo was banned! Of course there is nothing to prevent THIS government from banning its production here in the US!

When I was much younger and had even less money I tried making black powder. While it would make a fire cracker it did not have the consistancy for use in my shotgun. I doubt many people will be able to make a consistant quality powder for use in rifles so if we are to continue to shoot we will rely on commercial made powder.

Have always had difficulty getting Black Powder here where I live so have been making my own for close on 30 years. Finally on the weekend had the chance to run a shot over a Chrony with about 85 grains of Homemade powder the read back was 1861FPS. My chart tells me 80 Grains of FF Goex should produce 1777FPS and 90 Grains 1891FPS so I have to say I`m pretty happy with the home brewed though I still use Goex FFF or FFFF in the pan.
Its not rocket science.
Good job, NZ! considering the anti-gun government there, you're doing well!~

When I was much younger and had even less money I tried making black powder. While it would make a fire cracker it did not have the consistancy for use in my shotgun. I doubt many people will be able to make a consistant quality powder for use in rifles so if we are to continue to shoot we will rely on commercial made powder.
I would point out that Dan Boone made it. As did our ancestors during the revolution. The musical 1776 has John Adams imagining talking to his wife in song. Abigail tells him she and the other ladies need pins and John tells her salt peter.
I’ve said it’s dangerous and to never do it, but I just sent off for a rock tumbler.

I think I now have everything I need either on hand or on order. I've never done it before but after extensive research I feel confident I can produce powder of high enough quality to shoot through my flintlocks. I can think of three good reasons to go that route.

1. I'm tired of being at the mercy of supply problems. My reloading hobby has allowed me to weather the great ammo shortage with my modern guns. I want to get to that same place with my flintlocks.

2. I'm retired and my wife died several years ago. I have time on my hands and can use another hobby to help fill it.

3. Crunching the numbers tells me it should be very cost effective. After the initial cost of equipment I think I can produce black powder for about 20-25% of current retail prices.

Making black powder is EXACTLY as dangerous or safe as YOU choose to make it. You can make excellent powder safely IF you choose to do the research and put in the work. At last week's prices mine cost $7.10 a pound for a 5 pound batch. You may spend a little more up front for equipment, but that's like a hundred bucks.

i haven't bought BP of any kind for 60 years. i make and burn about 6-7 lbs in a year.
making BP is legal. MANUFACTURING for sale, gift etc requires permits and regulation.
as stated above making it is as safe or dangerous as your abilities. if you can make pancakes without a visit to the ER , you can make BP

I won't ever try making BP because I'm just not up to doing it. But I will always buy the cheapest, even if it's not a great quality powder, that I can find and afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back