• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who was Rudolph Pelck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0656-1.jpg
two hammers, two triggers, and one barrel. does anyone know anything about this?

Rudolph Pelck was a mid 19th century gunsmith from Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois.

Could you possibly post some more pictures?

Right now I would be assuming, but I would bet that the hammer and drum on the left side are offset from the one on the right....it appears to be forward of the right one in the picture.

If that is the case then what you have is a fairly rare duplex load rifle. The gun would have been loaded with conventionally with a charge and tightly patched ball and then another on top of it. The gun would be fired front load first of course.

Very interesting....and, again, rare! Thanks for posting. Enjoy, J.D.

IMG_0653.jpg
don't have the gun in my possession, a friend at work asked me about it and I told him I knew where we could get some info. I'll have to post my three pic's one at a time till I have a brain storm and learn to post them all at once. :doh:

Wow! What a neat gun. Your co-worker is a lucky guy. Interesting trigger guard too. Thanks again to you....it was my pleasure.

If there is even a chance to get some better pictures....please do. Enjoy, J.D.

Those drums are way to close together to be used in a duplex load setup. More likely it was the smiths answer to the imperfections in percussion caps of the day. A second quick shot could keep an animal from getting away when a cap pops but the gun doesn't go off.

It certainly does appear that way, doesn't it. Seems odd....more so than a duplex gun if that is the case. It just seems like a lot of expense to go to just to avoid recapping....especially considering as late as this gun was likely built. But there were and are many gun builders who do a lot of "experiments" that make others sit back and just scratch their heads.

I'd still like to see more and better pictures of this gun. Enjoy, J.D.

Latest posts

Back