• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who uses their smoothbore strictly as a shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I read a lot of threads where guys are using smooth bores with ball as well as shot. Id like to hear from those of you, who like myself, only use their smoothy as a shotgun.

Yes, I know I am probably missing out, but I have rifles for the purpose of shooting ball. Never had the desire to shoot a ball from a smoothy.

I shoot mine enough to develop a good load for an accurate group at 50y then it’s all shot. I always have plans for taking the Smoothbore deer hunting but always end up taking a rifle because I saw a nice fat doe at 75 yards yesterday... (Where I hunt 75% of my shots on deer are bow range or a bit more).

Me now that the law that covers only loaded ammunition designed for breach loaders and single projectiles is apparently invisibly written to in include muzzle loaders!
My .45 smooth rifle now has to meet the legal requirement of not one 44 ball but the legal 5x.36" balls! Go figure.

The availability of entry level or affordable shotguns on the muzzleloading market is very anemic..
I wish more inexpensive single barreled shotguns were made.

That is very true. TC used to sell the New Englander as a smooth bore and that was an affordable gun. I can't recall any affordable smooth bore guns these days.

The smoothbore shotgun was designed only for shot , for a single projectile it has to be a rifle. Any other smoothbore to shoot a ball are military made weapons
Feltwad

Typical of what exactly Feltwad?
Silly remarks from a man that has a lot to learn and tries to ruin threads that I reply a answer too or enter and seems to get away with it . All I can say is if the moderator does not control his remarks against me which are uncalled for then it is time for me too walk away from the forums of the Muzzle loaders
Feltwad

Silly remarks from a man that has a lot to learn and tries to ruin threads that I reply a answer too or enter and seems to get away with it . All I can say is if the moderator does not control his remarks against me which are uncalled for then it is time for me too walk away from the forums of the Muzzle loaders
Feltwad
Just hit the ignore me button mate 👍
Oh and I have never been rude enough to call you silly but I must agree I do have a lot to learn only it won't be from you, that I can guarantee!

That aside. There is plenty of evidence that extinguishes your opinion regarding shotguns. There were plenty smoothbores other than muskets used by civilians with a single ball.

The availability of entry level or affordable shotguns on the muzzleloading market is very anemic..
I wish more inexpensive single barreled shotguns were made.
H&R took one of their break open single shot shot guns, plugged it and fitted a nipple on it. Then made a ramrod holder underneath. This was back in the 70s. I guess it might be one of the first ‘in lines’.
But it was advertised in ml mags right along traditionals. Smooth barrels were made about this time for many of the TC style guns.
They were at one time playing with the idea of an inexpensive ml shotgun.

Numrich still have in stock new/old stock invest arms 22 and 28 inch percussion .50 /.54 smooth bore barrels.
I purchased a .54 a couple weeks ago.
Them have a few rifled options also

I have only recently started using my one 62 Fowler with LRB. The Fowler was purchased years ago, primarily for Turkey, and occasional use on small game and Upland birds, with one of my several rifles, used for deer and squirrel hunting. As with the OP, I was intriqued by the numerous posts of those achieving very good accuracy using LRB’s in their smoothbores, and were serving double duty. I decided to give them a try and was pleasantly surprised with the results. With the kind assistance of “Hanshi”, another member of the forum with a smooth bore comparable to my own, I was able to develop an accurate load, that was no fuss, using a Mink Oil/patched ball, with the same powder/charge used with my birdshot loads. The versatility is quite apparent, particularly given my typical Deer hunting distances. While I have not yet used my Fowler with LRB for deer hunting, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so.
33831F36-66BC-4A83-82A0-F38A65B88ECB.jpeg6EE2FA2F-6D9F-4791-B238-295F3E52C056.jpeg71D5C9B2-690C-4A35-A324-71F6F5E824A9.jpeg

Back to the original question, my trade gun,smooth bore, is my go to squirrel gun. Occasionally I shoot round ball, mostly at the range,. My hawken rifle is my choice for deer as for many of my shots are over 50 yards.

H&R took one of their break open single shot shot guns, plugged it and fitted a nipple on it. Then made a ramrod holder underneath. This was back in the 70s. I guess it might be one of the first ‘in lines’.
But it was advertised in ml mags right along traditionals. Smooth barrels were made about this time for many of the TC style guns.
They were at one time playing with the idea of an inexpensive ml shotgun.

H&R company got the axe from the corporate greedys, but if they could make one of those and sell it for under $200 why the hell can't someone make a simple muzzleloading shotgun ?

Latest posts

Back