• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who uses reenactor powder to hunt/ target/ plink?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'll bite... why isn't it legal for him to sell it.
Because he may not have a license to vend explosives. ;)

It's not well "screened" powder, so you will have a larger spread of muzzle velocity shot to shot. It IS graphited. Because you have such a possible difference in MV, as a target shooter, you'd have your groups open up. Would that matter to the deer? I doubt it, unless you're into harvesting deer at maximum ranges of 150-200 yards. IF you don't want it I'd take it off his hands :thumb:.

(It's probably closer in "authenticity" to the powder of the 18th and early 19th century.)

IF one was really worried about accuracy with the stuff, I'd chronograph it compared to my standard GOEX load and see how much difference it has. But Since most of us are taking deer at under 100 yards, and many are at 50 yards or less, either I'd not worry about it OR I'd up my load by 10 grains,..., and not worry about it. :D

LD

Because black powder is considered to be an explosive, the Federal government controls who can sell it.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives controls the licenses and anyone who sells any amount of black powder without one is violating the law.
It's a Federal offense and it comes with a stiff fine and prison term.

I mean... how bad can it be??
A guy has a case of it, used to be into living history, no more.

Should i make a run at it for hunting, etc?
I tried some one time in a bess, I had to double the load to make it perform

About anything Reenactor doesn't belong in the same sentence as Target. I used to reenact and there is no way in hi ho hockey sticks I'd is my target guns b in a reenactment.

The difference is in consistency and quality. All a Reenactor cares about is bang and price. A serious shooter wants consistency and that costs a bit more.

We have used Jack's Battle Black as the powder used when the unit participates in Woods Walks. We are shooting Land Pattern muskets so target shooting is a bit of adventure. It does work well enough to keep us from the last place among the participants. So, yes the reenactor powder will work for hunting or target shooting, just don't expect consistent performance. Hunting ranges will need to be close. Groups will be pie plate size, so take that into consideration when you use it.

I’m guessing it is privately bought and sold on a somewhat regular basis, however, advertising on a public forum that your are purchasing or selling black powder is not a wise idea. I personally will not risk selling or purchasing black powder. Period. Who knows if the ATF or their minions are watching and what the ATF would do once aware. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. In this day and age, I doubt those in charge of enforcing the laws will say ‘don’t worry, he’s a good old boy and won’t be a problem’. Just my opinion. https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/may-i-sell-black-powder-without-license

Back