• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who to build from blank for you?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you could have any modern builder alive or dead from the 1950's to today build your rifle who would it be? Would you want a smooth bore or rifled bore? I have a SMR that was a Kibler kit built by Chuck Edwards, one IMO very good looking rifle in .45 cal. Next one will be a smooth bore in .58 or .62. Have been talking to 3 builders refining the build. Price wise they are all real close on cost. One has said he doesn't enjoy making the gun I set pictures to and he is 4-5 years out now, the other 2 are 1-2 years out. I think being able to shot shoot, ball, and buck and ball would put game on the table.

I can't answer your question, I built all of my guns. If I were you, I would keep a close eye on the classified here and the ALR site for a smooth bore, builders put their new guns up for sale often on these sites, the best work shows up on the ALR site.

Here is some fine work that is posted on the ALR site right now.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=72432.msg736209#new

I build all of my rifles myself. If I could choose just one from another builder it would be John Schippers. He was a master at engraving and carving.

Eric Kettenburg for an early colonial rifle, Ken Gahagan for a Hudson Valley fowler (nobody else is even close), Ian Pratt for a creative gun of amazing artistry with forged iron mounts. But a personal connection with a strong, long-standing friendship wins, so Tom Curran. A Rifle of Unknown Origin by Tom Curran.

If I wanted an English gun it would be Dave Person.

Since I am not into historically accurate rifles or smoothbores I would pick me. This choice would save me a LOT of money and short completion date. My second choice would be a Kimber kit again cost effective and also a short wait time. :thumb: :ghostly:

Back