• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who Shoots Originals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The longer of these is an 1865 hayes pattern Enfield 3 band Medium rifle.
It was used in the NZ wars.
When the US was having its troubles.
NZ couldn't get Enfield rifles with demand from US at the time & were offered these instead.
Very accurate rifle for the time.
& not that shabby nowadays.
I shoot wild pigs & this year two deer have been taken with it.
.its got a very light trigger and I enjoy shooting with it.
Have a awesome day black powder fellows.
Chris from New Zealand
Nga mihi
Ki kite :)

Attachments

• 20210405_123008.jpg
    20210405_123008.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210405_123024.jpg
    20210405_123024.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210405_123059.jpg
    20210405_123059.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210405_123427.jpg
    20210405_123427.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 72
Kia Ora, Chris!!! And welcome from UK! I've just been watching a load of stuff on Youtube about the Maori Wars - reminding me to watch 'UTU!' again, too. I have friends in the model trains interest on both islands and a special friend in Christchurch from many years ago. Looking forward to hearing more of your shooting with proper guns.

Much thanks to Seth I. for opening this link for history buffs who collect & shoot originals. I got bit by the vintage gun bug over 60 years ago as a teenager & was fortunate enough to have a good gunsmith teach me the ropes on how to pick out good shooters. Age & arthritis has slowed me down but I still enjoy shooting my handguns.
I'll post pictures of some of my favorites.
-The rifle is a .70 cal. Danish Jaeger & most consistently accurate rifle I've ever owned.
The canvas & leather trimmed hunting bag is also original, complete with small game ties & a leather cap holder.
-The single shot pistol is a rifled .70 cal. French officers pistol.
- A couple of 58 Remingtons.
-
IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3295 (1).JPG
    IMG_3295 (1).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3296 (1).JPG
    IMG_3296 (1).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Pistol, Gun Broker Item 894359133.jpg
    Pistol, Gun Broker Item 894359133.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 53
  • New Model Remington Army Sn 107274 manfactured in 1863.JPG
    New Model Remington Army Sn 107274 manfactured in 1863.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 55
An 1863 Springfield rifled musket. All correct, as near as I can tell from research. Bought from a shop in Va. Wish it could talk. Been a lot of fun zeroing in on the optimum powder, minie diameter, grease, etc.
Springfield probably made the absolute BEST .58 barrels ever. Superior to what is made today in America out of screw stock.

The deeper progressive-twist rifling used on Civil War period Remingtons, Colts & Rogers & Spencer revolvers explains why their accuracy is far superior to most replica revolvers.

Springfield probably made the absolute BEST .58 barrels ever. Superior to what is made today in America out of screw stock.
You might not say that if you tried a Hoyt or Whitacre barrel. They both use progressive depth rifling like the originals.

First muzzle loader I ever shot, 1954. Was Grampa's ~20 g. shotgun. Made after the war (Mr. Lincoln's) from a bored-out musket barrel. Guess it was usually kept loaded, as Pop's sister hurt her shoulder when she loaded it to shoot s groundhog. And I had recently unloaded it of #6 shot, nice dry gunpowder & a red waxed paper wad.

1622223095548.png

Past tense, but a short barrelled 8 ga SxS (market gun?) threw a decent pattern - but is too much for my shoulder these days.

How many here shoot original, antique rifles?

I am not sure what antique means, but I have shot several original weapons. But there might be some discrepancies on a person's definition of original is too. It seems that Brit and feltwad has access to more what we call originals than we do on this side of the pond.

Back