• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who Shoots Originals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33882

36 Cl.
Reaction score
How many here shoot original, antique rifles? If so, what do you shoot? Feel free to share pictures of your rifles. We all love to see them. :)

Krider Rifle 2.jpg
Krider Rifle 3.jpg
Krider Rifle.jpg
Shooting Krider RIfle.jpg

Here is a real short video with a couple shots from my antique rifle from John Krider's shop in Philadelphia:

I have two heirloom rifles that were handed down to me originally from my Great Great Great grandfather. One is a Gibbins .32 percussion rifle, and the other is a .35 caliber Penabaker percussion rifle. both are from the 1840's. I hunt squirrels with both rifles from time to time just for sentimental reasons. My GGG grandfather was quite a hunter. I have a picture of him with his dogs and one of the rifles I now own. Both guns were kept in excellent shape, however, the .35 has a corrosion ring at the top of the powder charge I believe from leaving a charge in the gun for a long period of time. When i got the gun it had not been fired in over 100 years and it still had a charge in the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 122
I have a few that I shoot, both rifles and shotguns. Really enjoy shooting a bit of history. One of my favorite shotguns is a 13 ga W. Greener SxS. When I hunt with them I often wonder if the craftsmen that built them ever dream that they would be in the USA and still being used.

Seth, I am very glad that you own that rifle and are enjoying it.

Fleener

I shoot my original 1858-built Robert Pritchett Volunteer rifle - so far with great lack of success. Because of the horrendous cost of moulds for this rifle, I'm trying to find a suitable size bullet that I can either size down or patch up to suit - a pleasant if time-consuming chore that has had to be set aside for the time being for family reasons.

1621945667256.png

1621945694867.png

1621945721256.png

1621945755699.png

I'm going to ask the maker of these swaged bullets to make me some without the knurling and see how they go with a single wrap of airmail paper.

I shoot a Mortimer 10ga double barreled shotgun, 200+ yrs old in excellent condition. History in every shot!

I shoot my original 1858-built Robert Pritchett Volunteer rifle - so far with great lack of success. Because of the horrendous cost of moulds for this rifle, I'm trying to find a suitable size bullet that I can either size down or patch up to suit - a pleasant if time-consuming chore that has had to be set aside for the time being for family reasons.

View attachment 78704
View attachment 78705
View attachment 78706
View attachment 78707

I'm going to ask the maker of these swaged bullets to make me some without the knurling and see how they go with a single wrap of airmail paper.
Brett gibbons of papercartridges.com sells ready made .550 pritchetts. They should work perfecrly for you with a standard load.

I shoot two orginal sniders and a p53. Taken 3 deer with the p53 and have only taken the sniders bear hunting...no sucess yet. Never had a deer NOT drip on the spot with my p53. Orginals are alot lighter than repros and function better. Just need to mind them when it rains. Ive water proofed every nook and crannie with water pump grease.

Brett gibbons of papercartridges.com sells ready made .550 pritchetts. They should work perfecrly for you with a standard load.

I know, but Brett is away right now, and in any, getting lead transported from USA to UK is not something I'd like to pay for - I sent two magazines to the USA last month - they cost $24 shipping.....................................imagine 20# of lead!!

You all know, and I all know, that the 500+ grain Minié bullet is going to do the biz on most anything with fur, but notwithstanding that, you cannot use such a round on game here in UK.

Either not fast enough of not energetic enough - so they say.

Funny, that. Back in the days of the Raj in India it seemed to work just fine on tigers - renowned for being pretty feisty animals, right?

I'd love to say I shoot an original Hawken but it's a bit more than my income. A bit? Who am I kidding? I'd need to win the lottery.

You all know, and I all know, that the 500+ grain Minié bullet is going to do the biz on most anything with fur, but notwithstanding that, you cannot use such a round on game here in UK.

Funny, that. Back in the days of the Raj in India it seemed to work just fine on tigers - renowned for being pretty feisty animals, right?
That is ironic. Ive chased more deer after shooting with modern stuff than a solid lead slug.

The UK' Experts 'who declared no black powder or bow can kill Deer also excludes the 600 Nitro. (Dos'nt have the muzzle velocity but ok for Elephants ?.(Not that they would aprouve ) .
Pure BS eagerly siezed apon by the antigun Government .NZ Deer don't know your Snider isn't adequate . Not sure about Cape Buffalo I gather they are no pushover .
Rudyard

Flint 1816 musket, 1841 Mississippi rifle, 1842 rifled musket, 1863 rifle musket, 1840s Ohio percussion long rifle, 1850s? percussion bear rifle, plus one Sharps, 3 trapdoors and one rolling block.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Those are beauties Feltwad. A single barrel English or American "ball and shot gun" in shooting condition is on my wishlist. Have you had any issues with the doubles? They look to be in great shape.

Back