• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who shoots 54 Cal with 3F ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have always used 2F in 54 and above. but I see a lot of fellers who shoots 3F in 54? and how much? i know every rifle is different and you just have to try combos, but is it basically as accurate or more accurate as 2F? just curious, i might give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,

I do. I've always shot a load of FFFg in my .54, although I have experimented some with FFg. I tried FFg again last week and was mostly satisfied with the groups, but thought my FFFg groups were better, so I shot again today with FFFg. My recollection was right, my .54 likes FFFg better.
Jenny.jpg

Jenny's group.jpg

I pretty much use 3F in everything I shoot, just reducing the volume by about 10%. There was a vigorous debate about the 2f / 3f over certain gauges / calibers on this forum years ago. I honestly believe everyone was right. I've tried it all, and as far as I could tell it all worked. As with everything in this pursuit I recommend test, test, and test, and then decide. My conclusion was that the answer is yes, 2F and 3F are both the powders to use.

I do. I've always shot a load of FFFg in my .54, although I have experimented some with FFg. I tried FFg again last week and was mostly satisfied with the groups, but thought my FFFg groups were better, so I shot again today with FFFg. My recollection was right, my .54 likes FFFg better.View attachment 36802

View attachment 36803
great group! what was the distance that was shot at? and what brand of powder?

I'd like to say that group was shot at 100 yards, but it was only 25 yards. I followed it up with a group at 50 yards that dropped 1-1.5" and which was still probably a 1-1.25" group. That was 85 grains of Goex, a .020 pre-lubed patch and a .530 roundball.

great group! what was the distance that was shot at? and what brand of powder?

I'd like to say that group was shot at 100 yards, but it was only 25 yards. I followed it up with a group at 50 yards that dropped 1-1.5" and which was still probably a 1-1.25" group. That was 85 grains of Goex, a .020 pre-lubed patch and a .530 roundball.
LOL i know what you mean, any group i shoot like that i wish it was 100yds. I have found goex ol eynsford hard to beat,,,,,,,,,,

I do. I've always shot a load of FFFg in my .54, although I have experimented some with FFg. I tried FFg again last week and was mostly satisfied with the groups, but thought my FFFg groups were better, so I shot again today with FFFg. My recollection was right, my .54 likes FFFg better.View attachment 36802

View attachment 36803
tell us about that beautiful rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I actually received a PM about the rifle as well. It was built by Rick Larnerd of Gobbler Knob Custom Longrifles for me in 2008. Always been a good shooter and if I'm not mistaken, there may be several photos of me with deer and fall turkeys photographed with the rifle in past hunts on Rick's website.

tell us about that beautiful rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
I have shot 3F in calibers from .32 to 62; 36, 40, 45, 50, 54, 58 and 62 rifles and smoothbores. I have, but rarely use, 2F. I had a 12 ga. double that I shot 2F in, but only because I had it.

My current load in my .54 Southern Mountain Rifle is 85 grs 3F, 530 RB, .018 lubed patch.

ADK Bigfoot

i have always used 2F in 54 and above. but I see a lot of fellers who shoots 3F in 54? and how much? i know every rifle is different and you just have to try combos, but is it basically as accurate or more accurate as 2F? just curious, i might give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,
I do. 70 gr 3fg, .530 ball, .012" patch, dry lube with Stumpkiller's Moose Juice. Reason: this load seems to leave less fouling behind.

I use whatever i happen to have on hand. I was once given a can of 1F it worked well in my 12 ga shotgun but left more fouling. 3F just seems to work it whatever gun i am shooting, seems a bit better accuracy with it. I was priming my flint gun with 3f until i got a pound of 4F it really gets things going a bit faster. Strange i have heard about all the mis fires with flintlocks but i have never had a problem.. not to say i have never had one just very seldom and then it is mostly after i have shot quite a few rounds without cleaning. i love the smell of black powder in the morning ( and all day long ) joe.g

When I first started shooting more then 40 years ago, it seemed to be the conventional wisdom(recommendation in the case of my first couple of rifles) to use 2F in calibers greater then .50. Over time, I shifted to the use of 3F in all my flintlocks(40-.62 cal.) Can’t recall a case where the optimum group size and velocity, was’t at least equal to 2F....using a lower volume of powder. I like the option of priming 3F from my horn when hunting.

There is a difference. If you shoot 2f say at 50gr. and go to 3f at 50grs the 3f will give u more velocity opposed to 2f. The 3f at 50 gr. will be an equivalent will of 55 gr using your powder measure. If you have a good scale measure 50 gr of 2f and weigh it then measure 2f a measure it. The 3f will weigh more. That's what I have found.

Back