• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who shoots 3F in there 62 cal.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just asked who shoots 3F in there 54 guns, I have a couple of 62 Jaegers, I have never tried 3F I know there are several people who do shoot 3F in there's. what are yall's results and what loads? brand of powder and amount?

I don't have any big bore rifles only 50 cals.
I only ever used 2f Goex until about 10 years ago when my old Pearl Harbor survivor friend, George, gifted me about 8 pounds of Goex 3f.
I've been using it ever since. I recently bought some Old Ensyford and Swiss 3f to try.
I personally like the 3f as you don't need as much per charge.

I've use 3F Swiss in a 62 caliber Rice barrel with 1-66 radius bottom rifling. Don't go much over 90 grains, and truth be told, the barrel is accurate with most any charge as long as you use a thick patch.

I shoot it almost exclusively. About 80 grains in my TVM 20 gauge. Sometimes a little more even (if I am using shot). Kicks like a mule but is hell on squirrels and tin cans. I have just come into some Swiss 2f so I will be experiment with that in both my .62 smoothbore and .50 rifle.

I have always used 2F ol eynsford gives me holes touching or a one hole group sometimes with one of my Jaegers, I haven't tried the other yet. it is 95 degrees with 100% humidity here in SC,,,,,,,,,,,,
Where in SC? I am visiting my family's farm in Batesburg-Leesville right now. Near Lexington. I have been shooting up a storm down here haha. And ditto on the heat lol

I shot 70 grn goex, prb in my 62 smoothy a couple of days ago. It did satisfactorily. No bench, off hand at one pound (empty) gas bottles at abut 60 yards. Hit some, missed some.

I use 3f in my Bess,80 grains and round ball rat tailed or chewed ball over lubed wad,Because my touch hole is alittle worn you get self primed, if you don,t like that you have block the touch hole.

I use 3f in my .62 smoothbores (really one measures .615) but I don't know how, or if, that correlates to the same bore size with rifling.
I use 80 grains with a patched round ball in the one that measures .62, same charge for the full power load in the .615 but using wads. With a patched round ball of smaller diameter in the .615 I get good a accuracy with 65 grains.

The reason to use 3F in a flintlock is easier and faster ignition. It also has less fouling and since you can use a bit less than 2F for the same fps it has even less fouling. You can also use the same powder from your horn for main change and pan. You also get more charges per pound vs 2F.

All these advantages apply to all calibers.

I recently started using 3F GOEX in my 62cal Fowler using a parched 60cal LRB. Consistently delivers sub 2” groups off the bench at 50 yards.
FF1AC82A-F21C-44D1-953C-96D95395267F.jpeg

80 grns. 3F .600 round ball 20 thousands patch lubed with a Crisco, bees wax olive oil mixture I put together. Rifle has round bottom grooves, not a hard load to start or seat maybe the bore is a bit over .62 but not by much never mic. it in the 20 gauge smoothie same load use a 15 thousands patch and a over the powder wad, with a card over the ball. I shoot 3 f in everything from .32 to .62 Prime with 4F These are hunting loads and has never disappointed.

what ever floats your boat. iff'n it works for you keep using/doing it.

Back