• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who says gun shows are bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you have to be patient and go with the flow. I set up some tables at the local gun show last weekend. Was hoping to sell off a few to make some spending cash and make room for more treasures! It's hard to sell traditional muzzleloaders around here, but sometimes I sell a couple. I saw an old timer shuffling his way towards me carrying what looked like a BP revolver of some kind in a hand made holster. When he finally shuffled up to me he asked if I was interested in buying it. Turned out to be a very nice 1860 replica. He said he had target sights, a walker flask and a ball mold that went with it. I made him an offer that was more than I should have, even surprised my self! He said he would check around. As I was 1 of 2 people there that would be interested in it, I wasn't worried about it not coming back. Well he showed back up to sell it to me and asked if I would be interested in a rifle to! I said well of course! Bring it in and maybe we can make a package deal. Well he shuffled off at a quicker pace than he came in at and soon returned carrying an 1861 Springfield original and a hand made shotgun. He said he wanted $400 each. The rifle was restocked with some nice new wood, very nicely done. The bore was reamed out by him and rerifled by someone else. It came with a ball mold and an adjustable bullet mold that he made himself. The shotgun had a bronze frame, very large and long barrel and nice wood. It was his own design. An odd looking inline. Well I bought the rifle but passed on the shotgun. It was to heavy for me to swing and to darned long to boot!
You did well if you don’t mind what state do you reside that shows and or muzzleloaders are not popular? Darn I have not been to a show since I lived in The Great State of Florida. There it seemed there were shows weekly easy to find. I don’t belong to any clubs here in NY so if there are any I don’t hear of them. Maybe they are banned LOL. I would probably go just to see what is out there and a you know stumble upon that special deal.

CA shows died for me when C&Rs had to be DROS'd. Prior to that they were wonderful. If i didn't know better CA govt actually believes shows contribute to the chance of armed rebellion against the state.

You did well if you don’t mind what state do you reside that shows and or muzzleloaders are not popular? Darn I have not been to a show since I lived in The Great State of Florida. There it seemed there were shows weekly easy to find. I don’t belong to any clubs here in NY so if there are any I don’t hear of them. Maybe they are banned LOL. I would probably go just to see what is out there and a you know stumble upon that special deal.
our shows are in the Dakota's. www.dtgca.org it takes 10-12 years to draw a muzzleloader deer tag because of the inline shooter. I would LOVE it if the would have a primitive season instead!

Trade fairs are a good place to find fun things and nice people also. When I set up at the trade fair in West Fargo I downsize a bit. I figure I am going to it any, I may as well set up to! My daughter comes with every year.

Attachments

• 20220225_173639.jpg
    20220225_173639.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I use to go to gun shows but I rarely bought anything?I wish I had and kept what I bought till now with the increase in what things cost now. I think there are a few older people on this forum that remember the N.R.A. mags that had military rifles and a few pistols that could be bought for $25.00 t0 $30.00 I bought a few and wish I had bought them all. Hind sight is 100% ,If I had only knew?
Bought a trap-door Springfield, 45-70, for $12.50. Where is that rascal now? [added: oh yeah, and a Greener 577-450 for about the same] :rolleyes: Polecat

Sometimes you have to be patient and go with the flow. I set up some tables at the local gun show last weekend. Was hoping to sell off a few to make some spending cash and make room for more treasures! It's hard to sell traditional muzzleloaders around here, but sometimes I sell a couple. I saw an old timer shuffling his way towards me carrying what looked like a BP revolver of some kind in a hand made holster. When he finally shuffled up to me he asked if I was interested in buying it. Turned out to be a very nice 1860 replica. He said he had target sights, a walker flask and a ball mold that went with it. I made him an offer that was more than I should have, even surprised my self! He said he would check around. As I was 1 of 2 people there that would be interested in it, I wasn't worried about it not coming back. Well he showed back up to sell it to me and asked if I would be interested in a rifle to! I said well of course! Bring it in and maybe we can make a package deal. Well he shuffled off at a quicker pace than he came in at and soon returned carrying an 1861 Springfield original and a hand made shotgun. He said he wanted $400 each. The rifle was restocked with some nice new wood, very nicely done. The bore was reamed out by him and rerifled by someone else. It came with a ball mold and an adjustable bullet mold that he made himself. The shotgun had a bronze frame, very large and long barrel and nice wood. It was his own design. An odd looking inline. Well I bought the rifle but passed on the shotgun. It was to heavy for me to swing and to darned long to boot!
Very nice. Could be a better inletting job than the original!

Bought a trap-door Springfield, 45-70, for $12.50. Where is that rascal now? [added: oh yeah, and a Greener 577-450 for about the same] :rolleyes: Polecat
Seems Our good days are long past. They have faded into the stories of the 50 imports and places like Ye Old Western Hunter. Many of us were fortunate to experience the heyday of shows like the great western and such when a dollar meant something.

Seems Our good days are long past. They have faded into the stories of the 50 imports and places like Ye Old Western Hunter. Many of us were fortunate to experience the heyday of shows like the great western and such when a dollar meant something.
I remember on Fridays and sometimes Saturdays. Mom and dad would drive to Barnesboro to play bingo. They would give me 50 cents and I got in to the movie, and had plenty left over for buttered popcorn and candy!! Today, you don't dare let a 8 0r 9 or 10 year old go to the movies by themselves!

I remember on Fridays and sometimes Saturdays. Mom and dad would drive to Barnesboro to play bingo. They would give me 50 cents and I got in to the movie, and had plenty left over for buttered popcorn and candy!! Today, you don't dare let a 8 0r 9 or 10 year old go to the movies by themselves!
I am 75. In 4th grade we were required to start using fountain pens. Mom gave me some money and I took a trolley into downtown Philadelphia. Bought my fountain pen and came home. If a child tried that now he would likely never be seen again.

Back