• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who says gun shows are bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what I really meant is what was available at GS in the 80's. surplus guns by the tons gun parts by the truck loads civil war original rifles and pistols. flint lock rifles. it was a bonanza. I bought surplus rifles in a barrel in woolworths drug store. all of that is bought up and not available
I hear you friend. We all thought the world was supposed to get better. Well, that ship has passed. You are soooo right.

I use to go to gun shows but I rarely bought anything?I wish I had and kept what I bought till now with the increase in what things cost now. I think there are a few older people on this forum that remember the N.R.A. mags that had military rifles and a few pistols that could be bought for $25.00 t0 $30.00 I bought a few and wish I had bought them all. Hind sight is 100% ,If I had only knew?

Guns by the barrel! Brought to the light my youth in the late 60's. Riding the city bus from my hometown (now more of a suburb) to Portland Oregon. We got off right in front of Andy & Bax on Grand ave. Barrels and barrels of every rifle used by anybody in WWII. All starting at $5!

I went to my first Gun Show in about 25 years this past spring looking for pistol powder. I wasn't looking forward to be overwhelmed with everything AR15 and the like. I was pleasantly surprised, yes more "I wanna be a recon ranger" or look like one stuff, but it was over shadowed by... Regular gunshow stuff. I got my powder and picked up a New but never used Hornady vibrating shaker. Works perfect and I now hav a dedicated powder coating shaker!
I'm looking forward to spending time at the shows this winter.

I go to a show maybe once a year, mostly to remind me why I don't go to shows anymore. They're getting smaller and smaller, admission prices going higher and higher and simply hard to find anything that isn't kitschy and/or chinese made garbage. Last KC show I went to had more Elk jerky, scentsy and gutter cover booths than licensed gun dealers. I admit, I miss the old days as it all seemed to change after 94 Crime Bill and we got saddled with Brady and the 10 year long AWB.

There are a couple of specific collector shows I'll go to if I'm looking for something specific and sometimes walk away with a diamond, like the complete set of NICE P14 furniture with grenade launcher sight for $60 when oil soaked, termite eaten stocks alone were going for $350. Those days are few and far between.

I've never been to a gun show but always wanted to go at least once. The problem for me is. In my area (behind the left coast iron curtain) admittance tickets are only available online. You can't just show up. Being a truck driver with an unpredictable schedule it just doesn't work for me. Add to that the trench coat tactics that I would have to employ to avoid CADOJ spies creating their illegal database through the use of plate readers on the assumption that everyone attending is up to no good. A friend of mine actually sells jerky and confirms the large presence of jerky, AC, window treatment and a host of other non gun related vendors at the shows. I really don't want to pay a$15+ door fee to see what I can see at Home Depo for free. But I would still like to go once just to say I've been.

what I really meant is what was available at GS in the 80's. surplus guns by the tons gun parts by the truck loads civil war original rifles and pistols. flint lock rifles. it was a bonanza. I bought surplus rifles in a barrel in woolworths drug store. all of that is bought up and not available
You have to go to the right shows. More of an antique gun show and militaria than tacticool and ammo and camo...

NOTHING has gotton better
Honestly, some things have gotten better, but not with humans.
Medical facilities have gotten better until recently, and now we're going back words. Science used to be getting better until they went woke.

You know, you're right, it's all going back medieval times!

Gun shows seem to change with the times. In the Dakota's when Obummer was acting like he was president, there were usually 2-3 dealers with lots of black rifles, we had some young guys come in from Minneapolis MN with lots of tactical gear and cheap optics. Once they flooded the market they went away. The old traders stuck around with good used guns and collectables. I am one of the odd ducks around here that are into muzzleloaders, and odd old stuff. Kind of like me. Prices change as interests change. AR's are a lot cheaper than they were 4 years ago, bolt actions and lever guns are more expensive than they ever were now. New ammo is showing up and the prices are going down again but reloading supplies cost more than loaded stuff now. Yes gun shows can be like a rummage sale, you never know what you might find. Hell I even found my wife there 24 years ago last month! Been married for 21 years now. Who can top that for a good find at a gun show?

Gun shows seem to change with the times. In the Dakota's when Obummer was acting like he was president, there were usually 2-3 dealers with lots of black rifles, we had some young guys come in from Minneapolis MN with lots of tactical gear and cheap optics. Once they flooded the market they went away. The old traders stuck around with good used guns and collectables. I am one of the odd ducks around here that are into muzzleloaders, and odd old stuff. Kind of like me. Prices change as interests change. AR's are a lot cheaper than they were 4 years ago, bolt actions and lever guns are more expensive than they ever were now. New ammo is showing up and the prices are going down again but reloading supplies cost more than loaded stuff now. Yes gun shows can be like a rummage sale, you never know what you might find. Hell I even found my wife there 24 years ago last month! Been married for 21 years now. Who can top that for a good find at a gun show?
Dang, a Gun Show Wife, your Sir are my new idol 😅

Very cool. I have an 1861 Springfield repro and it is a very fun gun to shoot. Eagerly awaiting range day results!
I have one of the '61 Springfields that James River offered several years ago. They got Armi Sports with smooth bores from the factory, then had the bores rifled by Bob Hoyt. Addition of target-style sights (you can't put a bayonet on because of the high front sight) and a de-farbing, they were about $769. at the time. Long discontinued, they were 'aimed' at the target and competition guys. I've never fired mine yet! James River moved into restoring M-1's and did a fantastic job on them. Don't know if they still are in business, must google.

I started going to Shows in the 1967 era; pre-Act of 1968. I still recall over the years some of the things I saw and/or got at shows up until modern times when things changed drastically, but you can still see at gun auctions, how old-time collections are coming up as people die off or retire to homes or whatever.

I have been going to gun shows for over 40 years and they certainly are not as rich in old stuff or cool stuff as they once were. I used to like to go to antique shows a lot also and they too have changed a lot but, I think one of the reasons (that we overlook often), is due to the internet. I think Ebay for instance really put the hurt on antique shows and shops. Likewise I think Gunbroker and Armslist have really cut down on stuff that once would have been for sale at gun shows. I still love to go to gun shows though, just HATE those stupid personal defense electric "zappers" that everyone loves to demonstrate throughout the show!

How much did you have to give for her?
Mushka she is a bargain at any price! She has bought me 2 gun safes and told me to let her know when they were full so we could get another! We have been helping out with 4 different gun shows through the years. Till the show manager died suddenly. That was in 2018. She took over and has been managing them since. 2 shows are in town, the other 2 are both about 200 miles away. She is bringing in new dealers just from word of mouth from the dealers who have come to our shows is the past. Dealers who got made at the last manager are coming back because she is easy to work with and doesn't blow up at people for no reason. Makes for a better show for everyone.

Mushka she is a bargain at any price! She has bought me 2 gun safes and told me to let her know when they were full so we could get another! We have been helping out with 4 different gun shows through the years. Till the show manager died suddenly. That was in 2018. She took over and has been managing them since. 2 shows are in town, the other 2 are both about 200 miles away. She is bringing in new dealers just from word of mouth from the dealers who have come to our shows is the past. Dealers who got made at the last manager are coming back because she is easy to work with and doesn't blow up at people for no reason. Makes for a better show for everyone.
Awesome gal! Where are you folks located in N Dakota? Let us know where all the gun shows are please.

Back