• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who rebuilds antique percussion locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to find someone to rebuild a pair of percussion locks off an original old double barrel shotgun. These are not back action locks. I would like them to use the plates and hammers and go from there.

The left lock the hammer is extremely loose :td: so I figure wear on the part the hammer fits on. The left lock does not appear to even have enough for the hammer to fit onto. :td: I haven't taken it apart to check it out. Perhaps the hammer itself has the wear? In any event other than some metal finish I am do not do metal work just wood work or some metal finish. The old double seems to be in reasonably good condition other than the locks. Thank you for your interest and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Well, that sucks! Internally flint locks and percussion locks are the same.

Next I would try contacting Track of the Wolf or the Log Cabin Shop and see who they recommend. They both do a big used rifle turnover and I would think they would know who can do the work.

Good Luck, J.D.

you may want to consider just putting in new locks. if the originals are that far gone it may be about the same cost as repairing them.

Medic 302 hit it. probably cheaper and safer to install new replacement locks.

I had a muzzleloader gun smith in Bowie Maryland rebuild locks for a double barrel about 30 years ago, He has passed away. He warned me that there was only so much he could do and re cut the nothches and rehardened the tumbler. But he said it was crappy steel and would eventually wear out again. I shot a lot of small game and clay birds with it and after 7 or 8 years the half cock notch was shot again. And that is the problem with most of the old doubles.

About 20 years ago, Chuck Dixon at Dixon's Muzzleloaders (Home of the Gun Maker's fair) reworked an old Austrian military percussion lock for my brother. Don't know if he would still do it, but if not he might be able to recommend a smith to do it. There's a guy down the road that is big into muzzleloader shotguns out at Friendship. He puts on the Black powder shot gun matches at the Tomahawks club here in central PA. He may know of someone.

zimmerstutzen said:
Medic 302 hit it. probably cheaper and safer to install new replacement locks.

It is no less safe to rebuild a lock with a new tumbler than it is to replace the lock....and this is assuming that the lock needs new tumblers.

Replacement will probably be no cheaper either. Replacement assumes you can find a lock made in left and right hand that can be adapted to fit the existing mortises on the gun which is very unlikely.

Call around and find a 'smith that will do the work. It doesn't even have to be a black powder smith as the same type locks were used on cartridge guns also. Any of the 'smiths who service Cowboy Action Shooters would be able to do it easily....probably lots of guy out there.

It really is to your advantage to get them rebuilt vs. replaced on an orginal piece.

Good luck, J.D.

If the firearm has sentimental value, I'd say leave it as is, and buy something else to shoot. BP is hard on a firearm, and a forgetful few days after shooting but before cleaning can do alot of damage.

If you want to shoot this one, I think you are much ahead by buying a pair of modern locks and modifying the plates to fit the stock recess. You may need to do some adjusting of the hammers by bending, but if the throw is off, you will need to do some welding. If the original lock screw placement interfers with the modern mainspring or internal bolster, you may need to reposition these hole locations, but that is not a tough job.

If you took the locks to a tool maker in a shop with CAD capability, they could make make a beautiful copy, with modern metalurgy and heat treating ... but wait till you see the bill!

I had the locks rebuilt on my one old SxS 12ga. Sure it wasn't cheap, but the gun shoots well for me and that was important to me anyhow. Though I use the gun allot, it is doubtful I will wear them out in my life time. Just my opinion, but the original locks belong to the gun, they fit the gun and just need to be brought back to service. If you want to use the gun, fix it as intended. You will never regret it.

Here are some examples of new bar locks which may or may not be suitable replacements for the locks on a double gun. About $200 for a pair.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/792/1

New tumblers, if needed, are under $20 each and it is very likely that a good smith can make some available tumbler work or fix the orginals.

Get some repair quotes and weigh your options. If it were mine and is was a nice gun or had sentimental value, I would do as you indicated your desire is in your post and get 'em fixed...even if it was the price of new locks and I will be surprised if it is unless all the internals have to be made.

Good Luck, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good replies thus far. Cost of rebuilding might exceed new locks. Years ago I bought parts and new cast parts from original locks from Dixie. They were the best source for stuff like this. May still be, I'm not up to date on DGW anymore. You might be able to do it yourself.

I have now removed the locks and can more fully describe what I am faced with. The right lock definitely needs a tumbler (broke off at the lock plate surface with exception of one very small snag)also needs hammer screw. The right lock appears to be an old period replacement as it is close but does not match the other exactly and the left lock has factory number 11 on each part but right lock has no markings at all. The left lock has the hammer diamond worn very large. That hammer will either need to be replaced or welded and recut. The hammer screw on the left lock appears that the threads are worn pretty smooth and will need replacement. Other than what I have described both locks appear functional as is.

if you can send me some pictures of your locks,I might be able to help you out,but if your in a big hurry,it might be a problem,as I'm working on three restorations allready,and working 60+ hrs a wk.I have a lot of original parts,and a complete machine shop with 40 yrs experiance in tool and die work.

Back