• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who needs 40+ ram rods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the range, since 1991, I've used my "Wonder Rod". My almost 30 yo helper. It is a black, synthetic material that is 4' long and can be tied into a pretzel form, and NOT break. It has a couple wiggles in the waggle, but she still does her duty. I don't know if they're still available anywhere? The old broken rods that still have length, I've been able to sell at rondy occasionally. My barrels are 44" long so 48" rods break 8-10 off there still is 38-40" of rod left. Small work for pistols.

At the range, since 1991, I've used my "Wonder Rod". My almost 30 yo helper. It is a black, synthetic material that is 4' long and can be tied into a pretzel form, and NOT break. It has a couple wiggles in the waggle, but she still does her duty. I don't know if they're still available anywhere? The old broken rods that still have length, I've been able to sell at rondy occasionally. My barrels are 44" long so 48" rods break 8-10 off there still is 38-40" of rod left. Small work for pistols.

Those are probably Delrin. I have a few blanks, pm me if you want to buy.

Thanks, but I'm fine. mine is almost 29 years old and works like the day I got it. I was trying to point out that being choosy can be beneficial. They were considered pricey at the time. But, since I bought it, I've only broken 1 wood rod do to dropping on a trail walk and it getting stepped on. i marked your screen name and topic and if someone is interested I give them info.

Your post got me to thinking and looking around my shop and safes, I found around 35 ramrods !...and the strange thing is I just finished up another one for a rifle yesterday !

Winter of 87 was rough for me and snowed in several times. I made a hole die out of 1/4" plate and had an old 40's Sears & Roebuck wood lathe I had purchased at an auction for 5 bucks in the summer when I was flush. I spent time that winter in an old smoke house( remade into blacksmith area) making hickory splits and turning out knife and tool handles. I had a lot of handles and ram rods.

Where’s the best place to buy good ramrods? In eastern panhandle and most of the muzzleloader shops we had in the 80s are gone!

The right rod for the job is important. You can never have too many. FWIW Once found some 2' tall 105mm cannon casings stuffed full of original rods. All were free from a very old, closed gun shop. About 60 Original rods From Brown Bess to Trapdoor Springfield plus early percussion shotguns were all stuffed into the huge casings for upright storage. The original rods were used over the years to complete ML rifles and shotguns missing rods and the really serviceable ones are still in use in shop and range. Others like brass tipped 54 Jagerstuzen rods got sold for big $$. One flame striped hickory seems to get stronger every year and may have been soaked in coal oil per DGW catalog. Custom cleaning rods see daily use even now with ball pullers of various sizes to help range friends.

Latest posts

Back