• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who makes black powder SxS for the field?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
At some point I will want to look for a 12 or 20 gauge percussion side by side for active use in the field. I spend a lot of time hunting birds and small game with a scattergun and I would find it amusing to do so with a percussion gun at some point. I have seen that Pedersoli makes nice looking guns and prices I think of as a bit high for something I might be toting over hill and dale (and through the brush). What else is out there? I don't mind dragging my Grey Hawk rifle wherever since it started out as plastic and stainless, but I might get pretty upset if I scratched up a thousand dollar plus shotgun via field use.

I have a Pedersoli Baker (plains) double barrel shotgun in 12ga.It has back action locks and a single trigger which I like as it makes it easier to use for me in winter with gloves on

Buy a used Pedersoli. You can usually get them for around $500

Fleener
Agree completely. My Pedersoli 12 gauge double is a great handling and shooting gun. It has become my favorite hunting shotgun. It weighs in just under 6 pounds and as long as I don’t go crazy with ‘magnum’ loads is a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:
If one looks around they might find a CVA 12 guage double that can be bought for very reasonable prices.

The CVA double looks like this except they don't come with a butt plate on them. (I rebuilt this kit gun and added the checkered steel butt plate in the process.)

CVA-SHOTGUN-001web.jpg

Another mention of the CVA 12 ga. SxS. I haven't hunted in many years but the last time that shotgun made 5 one shot kills on pheasant and chukkar. I'm a decent wing shot (or used to be) but that gun did the work. I assume a used CVA shotgun would be affordable but don't know.

Jeff

On the used market it is primarily Pedersoli, Navy Arms or CVA. Navy arms were pretty much the Pedersoli in their more recent offerings and may have been other Italian makers prior to that. I have a Navy arms that has the Pedersoli mark on it. 10 gauge with the left side slightly choked. Expect to pay in the $500 range for one in very good shape.

Back