• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made this 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I bought a Colt Navy 1851 .36 cal. for my brother back in 1969 or 1970 as a Christmas present. He has shot the heck out of it and it is time for some replacement parts. I looked all over for the name of who made it but all I found were the proof marks and three capital letters stamped on the barrel where the barrel wedge is - those letters are "RAG". Under the ram rod it says "Made in Italy" and on one of the barrel flats it says "Black Powder Only". The cylinder does not have the hammer safety pins nor does the hammer have the slot for the safety pins. The screws that attach the trigger guard and grip frame are 3.5 mm in diameter not 4 mm in diameter like Uberti or Peitta otherwise it looks like the standard Uberti or Peitta revolver - any guesses :hmm: ??

RAG is one of the logos used by Rigarmi in Brescia, Italy. EMF and Hawes were two of the importers for this maker. From what I have read Pietta and Uberti parts may or may not interchange with the Rigarmi model 1851 as it seems to be a bit smaller. Hope this helps.

Thanks - that was the info that I was looking for - it gives me a place to look. I think I will be buying my brother a 2013 version of that 1851 Colt for his birthday next month. I will still try to get the "old work horse" working again. Thanks again :hatsoff: .

I got a similar one when I was 15- stamped EMF. Have shot it 40 years plus. Still good :grin: .

Nothing is broke. The stud on the hammer is worn and the bolt is severely marking the cylinder also the cylinder gap to barrel is getting larger (was large to start with) and the wedge is in as far as it goes and no the frame's cylinder shaft is not pulling out of the guns frame - it need an overhaul :v .

As Collector said I think it is also an EMF import because way back in my gray cells I vaguely remember the box it came in said EMF when I purchased it from the gun shop. I just ordered him a new 1851 from Cabelas for $219. I'll get the RAG running for him in due time.
Michaels1851.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Back