• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who made it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodthompson1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all; I joined this site to learn more of my great uncle's plains rifle he carried across the plains to California in the late 1860's. It's an unusual gun with a 38 1/4" barrel measured from the end to the joint where it screws against the plug. It has a 1" octogonal barrel with a 50 cal hexagonal bore (measured between flats) with a 1 in 48 twist. The trigger assy. has a set trigger. It is a cap and ball short stock rifle. I've taken it completely apart and also researched for hours. I haven't been able to learn it's make as I couldn't find any obvious markings or sure comparisons with any of the known guns. I could send a photo if it was allowed.
Thanks
Rod

You can post photos here and that would be the best place to start. You said you have taken the gun apart- are there any markings on the barrel, lock plate, under side of the barrel or inside of the lock plate?

Hi. Thanks for your interest. I didn't take the lock plate apart. When I took the gun apart before, I didn't see any obvious markings. Since then, I have learned I need to take it apart again to look at some specific areas. I took some great pics, editing them for the web but will now need to learn how to post them. The area where the cap nipple screws in looks like it may have been modified to retrofit a flintlock to a percussion cap. As soon as I learn how to post the pics, they'll be there. Thanks again
Rod

If you want to send the pictures to me I will post them for you. PM me if you want me to do it. Ron

I'm giving it a shot! Thanks for your guidance. Here are some pics.
Rod
gun4.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun1.jpg

It appears to be a fairly typical rifle of the late percussion era, back action lock, drum & nipple ignition as best I can tell from the photos. There's no telling who made it. There were many thousands of gunsmiths making rifles of that style and very few were famous names.

I am NOT suggesting that you try to correct your gun but if you are interested, the bolster that the nipple screws into is screwed too far into the barrel.

That is the reason the nipple is pointing straight up rather than being tilted back so that the hammer could hit it squarely.

As I say, you should probably leave things alone because it may be almost impossible to rotate the bolster without damaging it.

Thank you all for your input. You have been a help in helping me understand the source of the great great uncle's gun.

Blessings,

Rod

Back