• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who likes TC cut agate flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A while back I was looking for flints at my local gun store/pawn shop, which has a pretty good BP section but the only flints they had were the TC cut agate flints. I reluctantly bought them ( $20 for 3 flints ) and installed one in my large siler lock. It has since been going strong and showing no signs of slowing down after well over 100 shots, not to mention there's a pristine edge on the other side that hasn't been used yet. Anybody else use these and are you as impressed as I was with them?

Tried them, don't like them or the cost. I much prefer to use standard knapped flints and sharpen them when required.

I use them for range work but I usually pick them up at Wal-Mart after season for 5 bucks for 3. They work great in my TC and Lyman guns. I kinda hoard my black English flint.

Mr. Roller was kind enough to tighten the frizzen on a lock I have that he made in 1973. When I got the lock back I found that he not only tightened the frizzen screw but went through the entire lock polishing and making it just like new.

I was surprised to see a cut agate flint in the lock when I got it back, that is until I tested the lock for sparking and the cut flint sent forth as big a shower of sparks as I have ever seen from a lock. Mr. Roller really knows his stuff and the cut flint will stay in place until it is worn to a nub.

Started using the cut agate flints in 1980 and still use them along w/ the knapped flints. The double edges are an advantage over the knapped flints and I've sharpened the cut agates by knapping....a little more difficult, but can be done. Didn't know the cut agates were that expensive...a lot cheaper years ago......Fred

I've used these on my TC Hawken and Firestorm (my son now hunts with the TC), because they seem to be well-suited to the smaller locks on those rifles. I think they are absolutely awesome in terms of sparking AND wear. They are a bit pricey, though. I usually wait until some online shop has a sale on them, then pick up 2-3 packs.

Personally, I wouldn't use them on any of my longrifles... they just don't "look" right! :haha:

I bought a used Southern rifle as my 1st flinter and it had an agate, double-edged flint in it.
Being ignorant and reading how flints are supposed to be worn out after 20-30 shots, I turned it over at about 40 shots and replaced it after another 50 shots .. but I kept it to see if I could resharpen it later. I don't know if it is a T/C rock or not but it is a brownish color. Whatever it is, it's darned good.

I'm interested in checking them out myself. I looked on line and found that you can get packs 4 for between $14 and $18 dollars. I think I may have to spend some money to buy a pack and see how they work in my rifle.

I too noticed the incredible shower of sparks created by these flints, the first strike of a new flint on a new frizzen sent sparks to the floor, literally. I will agree, they look a bit odd but they seem to last forever- it almost justifies the price.

bpd303 said:
T/C must have changed their supplier. When I tried them years ago they didn't spark worth a darned. I'll try them again.

I tried them when I got my first longrifle (was a Traditions PA Longrifle) and they were terrible. Put in the Black English flints and then I got showers of sparks. Really hurt to pay $20+ for 2 or 3 of the cut agates especially since the English flints were going for about $1 each at the time. They are more than that now of course but still much less expensive than those cut agate ones.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

That's exactly why I asked this question, it seems some people love them and they work great and others have had no success with them. It makes me wonder if there's some kind of inconsistency with the flints or if some locks simply don't like them :hmm: :idunno: I guess I'll have to give black English flints a try when I get the chance.

The catch here is that "sawn" doesn't necessarily mean "flint" or "agate". Some of the stuff is "sawn" from cheap soft stone - too soft to do us any good. My gut says that the TC sawn "flint" from years ago was cut from stone better used to sharpen your pocket knife. The real agate (cut and bought from a German source) is very good. The chipped black English, french amber, and Rich's chert work well. They are all in the same mineral family. I don't take chances on much else.

This advice and 50 cents used to buy you a Coke. I'm not sure it will anymore.

Regards,
Pletch

Have used them in the past with mixed results, had one good, one bad, and one that broke. the nice thing about them is they are double edged.
these days I make my own from chert.
Every penny I can save on shooting supplies = more shooting.

They can be sharpened with a diamond file too putting a real nice sharp edge on them. I sharpen mine after a range session in a couple of min. They spark as well as the black English ones do in my locks and I pick more up every time I see them on closeout sale.

Pletch said:
The catch here is that "sawn" doesn't necessarily mean "flint" or "agate".
Some of the stuff is "sawn" from cheap soft stone - too soft to do us any good.
My gut says that the TC sawn "flint" from years ago was cut from stone better used to sharpen your pocket knife.

Agree...tried a couple about 15 years ago, they were junk.
Ordered 1000 3/4"x7/8" Black English Flints directly from Tom Fuller in England, $.69/each, outstanding.

Latest posts

Back