• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who likes Port wine ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the old days when a "hair of the dog" was the accepted cure for a hangover, a particular favourite was a port and brandy.

I always thought if I could face a prairie oyster I could not feel that bad - I never put it to the test. Port and brandy however, sounds rather interesting.

Besides after all is said and done and you buy the ingredients, mostly the wine and the brandy, you can find a bottle of real port from Portugal for not much if any more, and I guarantee you will taste the difference and not be sorry for it. If you are a port drinker.

My cost came in at just over $5.00 a bottle. I can't even buy Taylor's that cheap and it tasted pretty good for $5. The whole point was for the recipe to be a cheap substitute.

Sometimes you have to actually get off the couch and experience things for yourself to know what you are talking about.

While it’s not easy you can learn to make good beer pretty quick with little experience. After a year or two you can turn out shine that is on par with some good makers.
Wine. Well I’ve made some stuff that won’t gag a maggot but good wine takes so many things falling in to place.
Made a little off of wild grapes. Too sweet, lots of work, lots of failures and ultimately never as good as the juice of the barley
Had lot of good home brew, had some real good shine, and had lots of tasty mead, dandelion wine and fruit brews, but never had a good home made wine.

On a Royal Navy Ship, HMS Antelope, we visited Oporto. I remember going for a tour of Taylors. They looked after us exceptionally well. Funny - I don’t remember leaving......

Taylor's is well known and respected in UK. The port and brandy mix is an old Fox hunting tipple, with usually more Brandy than Port. That way it 'urts ya less when ya tac a tumble. Put it down to experience.. Not recommended for the Shooting field!!. Sloe gin fits in better there. The silver flask on the left holds 1/3 of a bottle. The right hand one is glass with a slide on silver cup on the bottom half.. OLD DOG.. 001.JPG

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back