• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who is using smoothbores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When still hunting I used a combination of rifles and smoothbores. Now that I can't hunt anymore with bad knees, most of my guns like ones shown below have become dust collectors.

________________________________________________________________________​

Here's a new project for the boys at GRRW.CA, this has been on the back burner for a while. Now we have decided to "bring it to life" as Doc would say. Now changed directions going with one of Doc White's "Slip-fit slug (bullet) rifles, waiting on parts.

Doc White and Carl Walker [ GRRW.CA designers and custom muzzle-loading gunsmiths ] are now in the process of doing a special project for me (still a muzzle-loaders but a little different). Doc is known for his different ventures in the muzzle-loading field and this is right down his alley. We have been asked if we would consider such a build by several of you.

I told the guys let's build one and see what our customers think.

#1st. A .367 caliber slip-fit bullet percussion rifle with a 1-14 barrel twist. Special order to get this twist.

#2nd. Will be a 1-66 twist, also a percussion, H.E. Leman Squirrel rifle, .40 caliber round ball gun 7/8 inch size barrel when compared to it's big brother the H.E. Leman
Trade Rifle). Another special order for this twist.

________________________________________________________________________​

These are new guns built in the last year or so by Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association custom muzzle-loading gunsmiths.

EXAMPLES - A FEW OF MY PERSONAL RIFLES BY GRRW.CA

j-s hawken.gif

The J&S Hawken Rifle by Carl Walker
l01.leman.full.length.jpg
The H.E. Leman Trade Rifle by Les Bennett
leman.jpg

The H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun by Doc White

While most today call the French fusil de chasse a “fowler” and use them primarily for hunting with shot, in actuality during the 18th century most FDCs were primarily used with the round ball either for hunting game like deer or defense against Indians etc.

Where did you find these barrels? I looked on the Green Mountain website with no luck.
Sorry it took so long to reply. Green Mountain stopped making drop in barrels for TC about five years ago.
I have about ten in my collection, most are 32" and I'm holding on to them for now. They all came from Ebay and Gun Brokers some years back.
I think you can buy GM octagon barrels in almost any caliber, you just have to find someone to add the
hooked breach plug, preferably with the snail style drum.

Last edited:
How do you like it? What loads do you shoot with it? I just got the same barrel and it is my first smooth bore.
Sorry I'm so late. Was away helping a brother. Start off with about 55gr 3f or 60gr 2f and about 60-65 #6 shot.
That's where I started and only had to tune a little on the lead amount. Remember, it's a short barrel and the
pattern opens up so test with some paper or cardboard.
Buck Conner says do some testing too. Heck, that's half the fun, experimenting. If we give you all of the answers,
you won't get off the couch. Ha! I will keep you in the ball park with safe loads. A big powder charge will kick harder, produce a big flame and a lot of smoke, but it wastes powder in the end.
Stay safe,

Last edited:
Sorry I'm so late. Was away helping a brother. Start off with about 55gr 3f or 60gr 2f and about 60-65 #6 shot.
That's where I started and only had to tune a little on the lead amount. Remember, it's a short barrel and the
pattern opens up so test with some paper or cardboard.
Thanks. I will try that.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Green Mountain stopped making drop in barrels for TC about five years ago.
I have about ten in my collection, most are 32" and I'm holding on to them for now. They all came from Ebay and Gun Brokers some years back.
I think you can buy GM octagon barrels in almost any caliber, you just have to find someone to add the
hooked breach plug, preferably with the snail style drum.
I just seen that you can order the drop in from muzzleloader emporium for 350. Oregon barrel works makes them.

I just seen that you can order the drop in from muzzleloader emporium for 350. Oregon barrel works makes them.
Yeah $350 sounds about right these days. My cheapest one was $198 all the way up to$330.
You say Oregon Barrel Works is making them, I'll have to check them out. See if they got one
in a, (Ha! Ha! Ha!)22-17cal. ,about the only one I don't have.

Latest posts

Back