• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who is using a 32 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a conversation with another club member last night . She questioned why anyone uses such a small caliber and squirrel hunting is all i could think of. I use shot for small game and the 32 doesn’t always knock steel down at matches.
Who is using the 32 and for what?
I have a Pedersoli Blue Rudge Rifle, .32 calibre percussion.

I’ve shot this gun for the last 30 years. Very accurate, very fun to shoot. I’ve used it to take rabbits, squirrels and a couple turkeys. It’s biggest positive right now…it sips powder with a pinch of lead. Within a year or so, I’ll convert the gun to flintlock, to make it even more economical.

I have a Pedersoli long rifle that was originally a .32 cal but de-activated prior to sale. I bought it very cheaply in an auction and have obtained an original Factory barrel for it. I am just waiting for the variation (UK legislation sadly) and I can have a fully functioning .32 cal rifle again! Can't wait!
Why would you ever let your government tell you to deactivate your muzzleloader?

borrowed my buddys .32 cal would use for most small game up to racoon size. I have a cva .32 cal barrel 3/4 inch across flats and cannot find a stock. any ideas would be welcome, sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread
Check out Pecatonica, they could inlet a stock for you if they have the right dementions.

Do you find the accuracy using the buckshot as good as with cast balls? This sounds interesting!
Gary
This is a five shot group. The one out is my bad. The 40 grains of powder is more than I usually like to use in my 32s but this rifle likes it.
20211212_163741 (2).jpg

Year back when I "first" got into BP, picked up a CVA that someone fired, put aside without cleaning. Pulled the barrel and did the electrolysis thing. I was learning. ;) Barrel ended up being a smooth bore, kinda.
Picked up a barrel assembly in 32 from CVA. Not even listed for sale anymore. Fired it 3 or 4 times, cleaned it and put it away. Seems like I had to tweak the hammer for the proper fit. Works like a dream.
Picked up a Derlin nylon ram rod from TOTW. Picked up a soft case and customized it for the CVA. Posted it FOR SALE but most folks seem to be looking for something for nothing. Just not into taking a loss OR giving it away. And with the bump in USPS shipping because of length,
nothing is cheap anymore.
This 32 and a few others need to go "down the road" to someone that will shoot them.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 20
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 22
I built a .32 caliber rifle. Have only had it out hunting twice so far. Mostly it's been shot on the range. Perfect little plinking caliber, not much powder or lead expended.

I may take mine turkey hunting in the fall. Still legal here in Pa, contrary to popular belief. A. 32 IMO, is more than capable to drop a turkey. I don't want to hear the BS about turkeys having thick feathers, etc. A .22 will penetrate their feathers. I've done so. I know a guy who routinely kills turkeys with his .36. A .32 isn't much smaller.

Last edited:
Back