• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who is using a 32 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After starting this thread i am surprised at how popular this little caliber is. I have always adhered to the bigger is better attitude and a 45 rifle was the smallest that i liked. I did shoot a 36 cal flint for club events this last summer.

I have a 32 flintlock built in the 70's by a guy no one has ever heard of. I shot it once, multiple shots at one event. It's a curate and no recoil, but I Did not care for the cleaning difficulty. It hangs on the wall now.

There is nothing intrinsically weak about the .32. In the modern
guns it is the .30s that rule. The problem is that a ball is not a
bullet, and has less mass. Also, muzzleloaders in general are
built to looser tolerances and do not require the precision
of ultra high pressures. In the day when the Colt Patterson
stopped a powerful Comanche warrior, the .32 was not
relegated to only the squirrel or rabbit--it was an all
around rifle- and rightly so within limits. Remember
that Crockett used "old Betsy" for general use.

Last edited:
you never ate squirrel? i rather eat squirrel than a deer,,,best meat,,make a gumbo,,stew rice and gravy,,try it u wont forget how good those tree rats taste,,,don't forget the head
The head? What on earth do you do with the head [most often has a hole in it]? Polecat P.S. I shot a lot of tree rats when I was young. It helped feed the family.

I had a conversation with another club member last night . She questioned why anyone uses such a small caliber and squirrel hunting is all i could think of. I use shot for small game and the 32 doesn’t always knock steel down at matches.
Who is using the 32 and for what?
Very fun caliber. Mine is very accurate, shoot it all year for peanuts, maybe 300 -350 pops per pound. With a 105 grain maxi at 1700 fps it is a HV 32/20,
which has quietly provided groceries up here for close to a hundred years..
just sayn’

The head? What on earth do you do with the head [most often has a hole in it]? Polecat P.S. I shot a lot of tree rats when I was young. It helped feed the family.
Crack the heads, remove the brains and deep fry them. Not my cup of tea but had a family member who loved them. Since Mad Cow disease I think eating brains has fallen out of favor.

you eat those ?

I grew up eating all kinds of small game, including squirrel. I was raised to only hunt what you will eat as the game was put on the earth for our sustenance.

That being said, my wife thinks squirrels are nasty and would almost rather eat slugs.

I hunt squirrel with a 32 crockett.

Great for all small game and a really cheap way to keep and improve shooting skills my favorite caliber.

Attachments

• D695E482-E9C6-4A33-B6A2-91318B9527A3.jpeg
    D695E482-E9C6-4A33-B6A2-91318B9527A3.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 42
Back