• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who has shot the old CVA double rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got one in .50 that has been restocked and -- gad! -- a scope mounted. I am on the hunt for a rear sight set to see how it performs in closer to original configuration.
I have had the Pedersoli doubles in several calibers that gave great satisfaction, but I believe the CVAs had a reputation for regulation issues.
Don't see these terribly often.

Had one for a little bit, neat gun and interesting but as @Grenadier1758 stated you had to do some creative Kentucky windage with the sights to come close to hitting anything, at least I did anyway, I wasn’t motivated enough to do much else than plink with it so it moved on to another more excited about it than myself, good conversation piece though.

Years ago I had Pedersoli double .58. The gun only had one rear sight.
To hit center of target at seventy five yards, with a round ball, I had to load eighty grains of 2f in the left barrel, and ninety grains of 2f in the right barrel.
It was easy enough, but if I didn't the right barrel would be six inches low.
I tried shooting minie balls in it, recoil was substantial, couldn't hit anything with it, and you had to constantly check to see if the minie ball didn't creep forward in the second barrel after firing a shot.
Once again the minie ball was loaded bare bullet down on powder.
I suppose it would have been better with a wad on top of the minie ball, to stop it from creeping, but that had it's dangers as well.
I also had a CVA double .50, I could not get that gun to perform. I traded it off rather quickly.
I should have spent more time with that CVA.
Fred

Back