• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who can make Ball Triggers for Pedersoli pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going with a project to make two Pedersoli Kentucky pistols into some different looking target pistols, and I am going for the no trigger guard, ball trigger look. I'm thinking someone can make a drop in replacement Ball trigger for them?

Cannot answer your question, but I am curious, what is a ball trigger? Have never seen or heard of one.

I'll need to find a pic...

Basically it's a style of trigger prevalent in the late 1600s , early 1700s where there is no trigger guard and the trigger is a simple round , straight "bar" with a ball on the end .

It wouldn't need to be very thick. Just as wide as the factory trigger , but I think the lines of the Pedersoli Kentucky are extremely conducive to this.

I think these guns look fantastic with no trigger guard and they handle and shoot nice without them . I found a small woodworking shop that is willing to make wood pieces to fit in the gaps that will use the screws to keep them in.

I figure since the Pedersoli is pretty much a pistol based on what has become known as a "Kentucky" pistol and isn't a historical copy of anything, and they're mass produced shooter grade guns of high quality , they make perfect project pieces for custom target pistols.

I put Marbles Full Buckhorn sights and ivory bead front sights , to kind of give these a vintage but functional look. I hogged out the rear sight notch into a wide U, so I can use both eyes and shoot one handed Bulleye style.

Attachments

• 20190408_104907.jpg
    20190408_104907.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 20190407_193953.jpg
    20190407_193953.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 217
20190416_131943.jpg

The best pic I can find online is a pic of this fantasy weird video game gun but this is a vague idea of how it should look.

The ball will be smaller but I kinda like the look of a large one.

Since the Pedersoli trigger looks to be Metal Injected Mold produced or at least cast, all that would have to be done is to take the Pedersoli trigger and make a wax mold, but then simply shape the ball trigger.

If no one can do it, I think the existing trigger looks ok or could even be modified by cutting a part of the bottom of it off and attaching the ball.

Okay, now I know what your are talking about. I have a Scottish Officers pistol with a ball trigger on it.

Ball triggers (without guards) are primarily seen on Scottish guns - and popular on many Ottoman style guns. The trigger portion inside the stock was basically a flat, straight bar to work with snaphaunce, miquelet, and locks using the horizontal sear. Since your pistol lock is the vertical sear variety you will need the upper portion of the trigger (inside the stock) to match what you already have. Here are a couple examples of ball triggers.....

Rick
DSC00120 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG

Those are them, I just think they look neat.

It wouldn't have to be a mirror copy of those but pretty much just a straight, short trigger with a ball on the end. I think it would look real good on the Kentucky pistols since they kind of have a look that doesn't really nail them to any particular style or time period.

Unless someone can fabricate them I'm gonna have to go with what I've got or maybe order some spare triggers and try my hand at modifying them.

I would assume the triggers in these pics are two piece, with the ball being somehow brazed on.

The Rifle Shoppe offers a Scottish steel framed pistol kit with a fancy ball trigger. You could try ordering a trigger for the Scottish pistol parts set which The Rifle Shoppe offers, however I do not know if they will sell an individual part.

Last edited:
Not sure WHY you'd want to put a 17th century trigger on a cheap, poorly designed 20th century pistol.
A pretty unsafe design as well, especially for a "target pistol".
Sorry, just my ramblings.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to use what I have and modify the triggers, I'm not going to get a raw part from another vendor and maybe fit it .

Well, to expand on this......why does anyone on this forum or anyone involved with muzzleloading do anything?

We use technology that's been "outdated" for at least 150 years because we enjoy it. What other reason would I have to be modifying a muzzleloading pistol in the year 2019 :) for use against Indians? It's about having fun man.

If I want ball triggers on two Pedersoli plain Jane shooter grade pistols than last I checked I still live in America. I'm gonna find a way to put ball triggers on my pistols because that's what I want. I'm not trying to alter anything that has any intrinsic or historical value.

Not sure how it's unsafe, we're talking single shot pistols that only get cocked on a firing range, not carried in a belt or used for hunting.

"Not sure how it's unsafe, we're talking single shot pistols that only get cocked on a firing range, not carried in a belt or used for hunting."

Why do they put trigger guards on all pistols and rifles? Was wondering.

You're right, we still live in America. We can do what ever we like. But a target pistol with no triggerguard on a shooting line, is an accident waiting to happen.
I for one will stand clear.
Watch this, hold my beer.

I don't know man you lost me at Pedersoli pistols being cheap and poorly designed.....never mind all these people who win NMLRA matches with them.

I feel less safe on the line with people shooting guns with locks made of pot metal or revolvers made in Brazil that fire out of lockup (seen it, luckily no injuries) than a flintlock pistol with no trigger guard but I digress.

Last edited:
"I don't know man you lost me at Pedersoli pistols being cheap and poorly designed.....never mind all these people who win NMLRA matches with them."

For NMLRA Kentucky pistol matches, they will not pass the inspection after the modifications.

I would not say they are cheap and poorly designed, but they are on the low end of the Pedersoli pistols. They will not hold a candle to the unlimited pistols used in NMLRA matches.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to use what I have and modify the triggers, I'm not going to get a raw part from another vendor and maybe fit it .

Well, to expand on this......why does anyone on this forum or anyone involved with muzzleloading do anything?

We use technology that's been "outdated" for at least 150 years because we enjoy it. What other reason would I have to be modifying a muzzleloading pistol in the year 2019 :) for use against Indians? It's about having fun man.

If I want ball triggers on two Pedersoli plain Jane shooter grade pistols than last I checked I still live in America. I'm gonna find a way to put ball triggers on my pistols because that's what I want. I'm not trying to alter anything that has any intrinsic or historical value.

Not sure how it's unsafe, we're talking single shot pistols that only get cocked on a firing range, not carried in a belt or used for hunting.
When you pay the fiddler you call the tune. Lots of old guns were made of mismatched parts and didn’t hold to the schools they were supposed to. Early in the nineteenth century gun makers were taking old military prices and chasing and guliding metal , carving wood adding silver or ivory inlays. Selling these guns to the first collectors. The start of fantasy gun tradition. All thigh history odd pieces were made, glass barrels wheelocks, or guns made to shoot through shields and such.
While you won’t have an historic piece you will have a piece that pleases you and continues a fanciful tradition.

"I don't know man you lost me at Pedersoli pistols being cheap and poorly designed.....never mind all these people who win NMLRA matches with them."

For NMLRA Kentucky pistol matches, they will not pass the inspection after the modifications.

I would not say they are cheap and poorly designed, but they are on the low end of the Pedersoli pistols. They will not hold a candle to the unlimited pistols used in NMLRA matches.

Yes I understand this but the other gentleman is talking like I'm putting work into a couple Jukar pistols or something , just trying to see what he means. I know the Pedersoli Kentucky pistols and rifles are the "entry level" stuff from them , that's why they make perfect guns to play around with.

When you pay the fiddler you call the tune. Lots of old guns were made of mismatched parts and didn’t hold to the schools they were supposed to. Early in the nineteenth century gun makers were taking old military prices and chasing and guliding metal , carving wood adding silver or ivory inlays. Selling these guns to the first collectors. The start of fantasy gun tradition. All thigh history odd pieces were made, glass barrels wheelocks, or guns made to shoot through shields and such.
While you won’t have an historic piece you will have a piece that pleases you and continues a fanciful tradition.

Perfect, this man gets it :)

Many people forget that target shooting with muzzleloaders didn't just end in the 1860s and all the guns just thrown away. There are many stories about guys hunting and shooting with muzzleloaders as a "primary" gun up through the 1940s. Obviously people still do but ya know what I mean .

They kept these guns going with newer parts, added sights, tinkered with them etc and I'm going for a little bit of that idea with these pistols, plus I have a grand total of about $650 in the pair which wouldn't even buy a higher end target model. It's all about having fun :) why else are we here.

Yes I understand this but the other gentleman is talking like I'm putting work into a couple Jukar pistols or something , just trying to see what he means. I know the Pedersoli Kentucky pistols and rifles are the "entry level" stuff from them , that's why they make perfect guns to play around with.
Hey, don’t be bad mouthing Jukar pistols. They also have feelings.....

Latest posts

Back