• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who can finish a kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After talking to several rifle makers it looks like I'm a year to a two year wait to get a rifle. I'm wanting to elk hunt with a flintlock next year. Either I get a kit and finish myself which I'm afraid to mess it up or try to find a one that I like. Or have someone finish one for me that isnt backed up and send them the kit. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm wanting to do an Isaac Haines with a metal patch box and some light carving and engraving but nothing super elaborate.

I've looked at the Kibler kits but they don't offer an Isaac Haines. I don't have a problem finishing one it's the carving that I think would give me problems.
As for skipping a year elk hunting that's not going to happen. Out of 22 years I missed once for a death in the family and one due to a serious injury but other than that I've been very fortunate to make it.

Kibler is the highest quality rifle available on the mass market. There is no room for improvement of any aspect on a quality basis. You may want different sights for hunting. IF you want a brass patchbox on the Colonial, Chambers sells a domed brass patchbox that looks really good. Kibler will cut you a stock with no cut out for the wooden patchbox. Kibler can arrange for a rifle to be finished for you by a third party.

The Colonial is a big rifle. 58 or 62 cal may be helpful for mobility. The Woodsrunner may be nicer to carry if the calibers suit you.

One thing to consider with a flintlock is reliability. Reliability costs. If you buy a top quality lock your chances are better to actually kill the elk. Any money saved on the lock may be inconsequential when you have a misfire on your elk. I know I would be extremely disappointed to miss my chance because of a junkie mass market flintlock. IF it is really a money thing get a caplock in cheap gun. I would not use any of the mass market price point flint locks on a hunt that matters.

My first flintlock deer took three tries to get ignition. That was the original TC flintlock in 1975. I see little improvement in the mass produced cast lock wonders today.

By the Kibler, do a simple build, have it for your elk hunt and then sell it

Couple of questions, what caliber do you want? Why are you so set on an Issac Haines?? And an observation....You can hunt with a rifle that has not been finished, get the rifle, put it together and do the carving and finishing after you kill your elk...

Latest posts

Back