• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who can finish a kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I’ve had many challenges “fixing” different finished kits. Cannot speak for the Kibler Southern Mountain kit as I haven’t built that kit but I have finished the Kibler Colonial. There are all ranges of kits available on the market. Does the Kibler Colonial snap together in front of the TV? no, unless you want something that is somewhat unremarkable. But will it shoot and be reliable? Absolutely! The devil is in the details.
The pros for Jim’s kit are:
1. Parts and materials, Quality, quality, quality.
2. All the really hard work that will guarantee sucess has been done. Proper configuration and relationship of barrel, lock and trigger are essential and done correctly. These are the most important relationships to have a well built reliable flintlock.
3. At least 90% of the fitting the other parts are done.
4. Absolutely historically correct!
5. Jim has a video library that will cover all aspects of the assembly and finishing and will actually talk to you if you have specific questions or problems.
6. Everything made by Americans and made in the USA.

Cons:
None.

If a person has decent tool knowledge and skill (no need to be a Master Gunsmith) and take time and care you will have a fine rifle superior in quality and function to 95% of factory guns.

For those without confidence in their skill or without the time to take this leap just have Jim and his team assemble it and pay the bucks. Or pay a builder to assemble and finish the rifle. Any of these options will provide you with a rifle you will be proud to own and that, with proper care, last you the rest of your life. (And your ancestors!)

Are Kibler’s guns as good as those of a master builder? Will they works as well? Absolutely and without question.
As far as beautiful, they could be, as evidence by Jim’s photo gallery. This will depend on the skill of the assembler/builder.

Addressing comments like “they are all alike”, this is only limited by the builder and assembler’s skill and imagination.

After all, most brown bess guns look very similar but folks are queueing up to buy essentially the same gun.

In closing I will say the lock in my Colonial is the finest flintlock mechanism I’ve experienced, and I have seen and worked on many.

Fanboy? Don’t like the label.
Deep respect for the man, his business, and his superior products. Yes, without question.

PS Apparently, the Woodsrunner does snap together.
Well said.

Back