• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who builds the best Tulle fusil de chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rifle shoppe has a complete set of parts. I got a set from them except for the lock, and built a gun around them years ago. I now cut my buttplate from sheet brass and get my own trigger guards cast using the rifle shoppe parts as patterns.
I used Jim Chambers flat Ketland lock and modified it to a more french style. You can get long barrels from Ben Coogle.

Could someone help me with the pronunciation of the title "tulle de chasse" is it "tool" or "tooly", is it "chase" or "cha say"?

Kevin

I asked my French Professor that exact question my first week. (the other question I asked was what does "Michelle, Ma Belle, son les mots qui bon tres bien ensemble" mean :haha:)
Her answer was interesting depending whether you came from the north or south of France. I forgot which inflection this is, but it's Tulle[tool] Fusil[Fewsee or fewseel] de Chasse[shaus]
it sounds better without dipthongs.

Repete avec moi, "Tulle Fusil de Chasse." Tres Bien!

don't ask about {voulez vous coucher avec moi} :redface:

Rifle Shoppe sells the parts , lock ,buttplate etc.

I once talked with Getz at Dixon , about a boucannier
barrel .... that was a few years ago .... if my memory is any good
he can make a 60" barrel on special order , but it is made in
two parts , threaded together . I was so stunned by that
affirmation that I did not asked any other question ...
( My spoken english is even worse than my writing )

To this day I wonder if it was a joke of if he was serious about it

Just making a 60" ramrod is a challenge .

A blunderbuss is so much easier to make ....

Sorry to contradict your french teacher
but both U in fusil and in Tulle do sound like the
german ü , like " über alles " ,

The E in Tulle and chasse is like in " seite-wagen " or
"Luftwaffe "

The A is like in Apple or in Washington

Fusil de chasse de Tulle ( hunting gun from Tulle )

http://www.ville-tulle.fr/

Back to the original question,there are several quality builders out there. The two types of hunting muskets are, as has been pointed out, the plain fusils de chasse and the somewhat more ornate Fusils fin de chasse.There are also two styles of architecture, the first are the pied de vache with the roman nose convex comb line and the concave lower butt or toe line.They are generally iron mounted. The other style,and the one most often seen in brass,are the fin guns which have a straight comb with less drop and a straight lower butt line.The fin guns are the ones generally described by Hamilton and others as Types C and D.Both of these are seen in kit form and with some creative lock sanitizing and wood removal can be made into very nice guns. Avoid,however, the precarved Type C and D stocks with the R E Davis German jaeger locks. You can get them without a lock mortice and use a more correct lock which may require some sanitizing and modification.The Rifle Shoppe has great parts but the waiting period is legendary.The R E Davis Fusil fin kit with brass mounts is the best on the market today but it is a little fancier than would have been carried by the average Canadian or habitant.It has the straight comb style rather than the pied de vache{cow's foot}pattern of the plain Fusil de chasse.Another thing to remember is that these French guns were ALWAYS stocked in walnut and NEVER IN CURLY MAPLE.
Good luck
Tom Patton

I once talked with Getz at Dixon , about a boucannier
barrel .... that was a few years ago .... if my memory is any good
he can make a 60" barrel on special order , but it is made in
two parts , threaded together . I was so stunned by that
affirmation that I did not asked any other question ...
( My spoken english is even worse than my writing )

To this day I wonder if it was a joke of if he was serious about it
It was no joke. This one has a two piece Getz barrel. It screws together where the octagon meets the round. You can't tell it from the outside or the inside. This gun has been fired many thousand times and is extreamly accurate.
b8.jpg

b1.jpg

b5.jpg

b4.jpg

b7.jpg

Early 18th century French; see Torsten Lenk Pl.91 for elaborate version on a high art gun Ca.1721 from Paris; see also T.M. Hamilton 1968-Types D,E,and F; 1980-Type E,PP.55-56{Buccaneer gun fragments.
Tom Patton

Typical bucaneer buttplate. this one was cast directly from an original by the Rifle Shoppee. It's nothing more than a flat piece of sheet brass.

pharmvet,there are alot of people on this site who will tell you what they think is authentic (pc)my advice to you is to do some research on the type of fusil "you" would like.most people will tell you that only a walnut stock will do. what about the guy whose stock got broke 6 mos. after he got it, then maybe he had to restock it in maple, others will say the barrel has got to 48 inches or its not pc what about the guy who was 5 feet tall and did`nt like his gun so long (bet he cut it down) I say after you read all their advice,talk to some builders like Donelson, tip curtis, and Anthony Plyszeski. and to places like track of the wolf, and the rifle shoppe.they all make and or sell some very fine guns or kits. Palyszeski`s` guns are works of art the wood to metal fit is perfect they balance and shoot very well. I know because I own one. I have talked at length with Donelson and looked at some of his guns his work is above reproach.I have talked to Tip curtis and he builds a very nice gun and he won`t charge you and arm and a leg for one. Decide what you would like and go for it!after that when someone asks who builds the best fusil you`ll know because you will own one!!
cut finger

If a fella is portraying someone who would have a French Trade Gun with a fusil cutback from 44"+ to say 41 1/2" or say, 36" then the rampipes should be spaced as if they had a as issued fusil to start with. None of the factory or semi-custom makers do this that I know of. And the locks on the so called Fusil de Chasse guns that are being hocked as authentic are fantasy locks. Again I am talking about the Semi- manufactured fusils. Walnut is the way to go on French fusils if one cares for authenticity. The fusils being made are hocked as French fusils not american restocks of french guns. Just my considerations and ideas on the subject.
Don :hmm:

Gemoke said:
pharmvet,there are alot of people on this site who will tell you what they think is authentic (pc)my advice to you is to do some research on the type of fusil "you" would like.most people will tell you that only a walnut stock will do. what about the guy whose stock got broke 6 mos. after he got it, then maybe he had to restock it in maple, others will say the barrel has got to 48 inches or its not pc what about the guy who was 5 feet tall and did`nt like his gun so long (bet he cut it down) I say after you read all their advice,talk to some builders like Donelson, tip curtis, and Anthony Plyszeski. and to places like track of the wolf, and the rifle shoppe.they all make and or sell some very fine guns or kits. Palyszeski`s` guns are works of art the wood to metal fit is perfect they balance and shoot very well. I know because I own one. I have talked at length with Donelson and looked at some of his guns his work is above reproach.I have talked to Tip curtis and he builds a very nice gun and he won`t charge you and arm and a leg for one. Decide what you would like and go for it!after that when someone asks who builds the best fusil you`ll know because you will own one!!
cut finger

Here's the way I see it, you can get a maple stocked de chasse or fusil finn or fusil de trait with the wrong lock and the wrong barrel length then go to great lengths making up a "scenario" why the gun was restocked, modified, cut down, re barreled, relocked, etc..... , or you can have one built right the first time around and not have to make up excuses for anything. Pretty simple choice it seems. :hmm:

Mike Brooks said:
Here's the way I see it, you can get a maple stocked de chasse or fusil finn or fusil de trait with the wrong lock and the wrong barrel length then go to great lengths making up a "scenario" why the gun was restocked, modified, cut down, re barreled, relocked, etc..... , or you can have one built right the first time around and not have to make up excuses for anything. Pretty simple choice it seems. :hmm:

AMEN! You nailed it.

There's always going to be people who insist on carrying some prized item that sticks out like a sore thumb and then have to make up an outrageous "story" to make it somewhat plausible.

Kind of like carrying a Roman dagger at a rendezvous. "They could have had them". :rotf:

my point was to get the guy to research the gun he wnated, and then make the right choices. we can`t all be pc or you guys would not have anything to cry about.
cut finger :blah: :blah:

There's room for all of them. I also have a Fusil coming from Mr. Palyszeski. Its not going to be pc, but I don't mind, I don't do reenactments. If ordered today, I would probably get walnut a stock and and a 46" bbl. But I plan to be real happy with the flame maple stock, 42"bbl, and big English lock.

I do appreciate the opinions of those here who know what is period correct. I understand now what the diff's are because of tg, Mr Brooks, Mr Patton, and others.

Since Gemoke and I are from the same state, we'll have to take our Fusils out and shoot something together. The deer won't know the diff.

Gregg

Back