• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who all uses peeps on their percussion guns.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I roughed out this peep, I bent it to match the curvature of the tang, test shots show promise. I have since shaped and sanded it smooth, the first coat of browning solution is rusting as I type this.
peep sight.JPG

Has anyone tried this model? Available through www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com. I have never bought anything from them, and please don’t consider this a plug for them. I am just wondering, because I am thinking of getting one.
21110.jpg

See it at :
https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?next=25&product=Sights

The problem with that sight is that it mounts so far forward you really can't use it as a "peep" sight. In order to gain the most benefit an aperture sight needs to be mounted as close to the eye as possible. The aperture wants to be somewhere over the wrist area.

I roughed out this peep, I bent it to match the curvature of the tang, test shots show promise. I have since shaped and sanded it smooth, the first coat of browning solution is rusting as I type this.
View attachment 31568
Have you tried it with the aperture closer to the back of the tang so the aperture is closer to your eye?

I recently purchased a T/C peep complete with original mounting screws for my Renegade. Can someone tell me what the thread pitch is? I'm thinking it's 8-40 but the screw are so small it's hard to match them on a thread pitch gauge!

I recently purchased a T/C peep complete with original mounting screws for my Renegade. Can someone tell me what the thread pitch is? I'm thinking it's 8-40 but the screw are so small it's hard to match them on a thread pitch gauge!
If you are referring to the T/C No. 7194 Tang Sight made for Hawken or Renegade models I have one here in the package; it comes with only one mounting screw as it is designed to use the existing tang screw in the back mounting hole (position the sight using the tang screw). The instructions follow as : "Be certain that the sight is centered on the tang. Locate and spot front hole. Use #29 drill with 8-32 tap."

View attachment 31568

My camera is on the fritz, but mine is a lot like yours Eric, only made from brass cabinet hardware.

I will probably make another sight with the aperture facing to the rear. I did find I had to choke up on my gun to get my eye as close to the aperture as possible to get the best performance out of the sight.

Keep drilling larger fractional holes till the fuzzy front sight clears up. No need for getting your face closer ... just need a tiny bit larger hole to "peep" through ... ya I know!

I recently installed a peep sight on my deerhunter rifle. As you can see in the picture, I had to fiddle with the wind age and elevation some but finally my last 2 shots dropped right in there.
20200526_165110.jpg

ive made home made ghost ring sights that look like a traditional sight on the barrel. they are a type of peep sight and really improve one ability to shoot better. im sure many shooter can do the same as i did. just solder a small washer to the back of a very traditional looking sight and then brown or blue it.

ive made home made ghost ring sights that look like a traditional sight on the barrel. they are a type of peep sight and really improve one ability to shoot better. im sure many shooter can do the same as i did. just solder a small washer to the back of a very traditional looking sight and then brown or blue it.
Can you upload a photo? What i.d. washer did you find worked well for you?

who all uses peeps on their percussion guns? the rifles I day hunt with I use either the 57sml or the fp hawken with target knobs I like the lyman better but the Williams is only about 69.00 my night hunting rifles I use the sights that came with my rifle but I do paint the bead on the front sight

Tang mounted peep sight....hardware store brass..keep it simple...42" Sight radius 90 gr 2f Swiss was the winner.
All my rifles wear these due to aging eyes.

Last edited:
Tang mounted peep sight....hardware store brass..keep it simple...42" Sight radius 90 gr 2f Swiss was the winner.
All my rifles wear these due to aging eyes.

So windage and elevation are adjued using the front only? Or do use get some elevation adjustment screwing the rear up and down?

So windage and elevation are adjusted using the front only? Or do use get some elevation adjustment screwing the rear up and down?
I like to keep the front sight centered on the barrel..."Just looks better to me"
can add spacers if need on rear for elevation...
I dead center drill the tang for rear peep.
have also built them offset for wind age on a relined barrel.
One or two range trips for final fit.
..its just a brass bolt with brass rod drilled through and soldered together.
Use a round file in bolt slot to make a saddle for the sight to sit in.
Note...... I prefer lower sights for a tight cheek weld.
Maybe 2.50 each with brass rod,bolt and solider maybe.

Last edited:
To see if this will work for you, try using a rare earth magnet with a hole drilled in it to stick on your rear sight. Harbor freight has these magnets with a hole already in them. I tried it on my .50 Leman, and they helped a great deal for sighting the gun.

Back