• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who all uses peeps on their percussion guns.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Would there be a market for a tube sight???
I have looked, and can find almost nothing.
Any suggestions where to look?
And is there any advantage from tube to typical aperture sights?
Thanks for any input.
Fred
I'll tell you Fred, the reason I shoot black powder is I like to know how they did it back in the day so I'm not supposed to long tube sites. I see those old buffalo sharps with the long scopes on them and seriously, all I can think about is, I'll bet that's a hoot to shoot. If you go to Taylor Arms they have the Quigley rifle it "the down under" as they call it. They also have a staff of really talented custom gun Smith's. It might be worth dropping them a line to see what they offer.
Neil

Doctor Goodwins Orthoptic was not originally a sight as such but a means of focusing the eye onto middle and fore sights to make them appear to be printed on a paper. This only became used as a tange sight when Metford and others started to use an adjustable rear sight with a small hole close to the shooters eye on long range rifles. The case and sights shown by DeBrevit looks like the sights made by the late Rex Holbrook and supplied to order by P/H with their .451" Whitworth, Henry or Rigby Military Match Rifles. These were also normally supplied with David's Monk Rigby Match rifles. The one on the Pedersoli Gibbs may be one by Mike Neuman in RSA or from Pedersoli. OLD DOG

1586470172229.png

Just purchased this one to go on .54 Lyman Trade rifle.

Have a "more or less" Gibbs Target rifle done from a Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply kit. Lee Shaver Soule rear and Distant Thunder Globe in the front. Sights cost 1/2 the rifle parts. Worth the money though. Short of a scope, best iron sights you can get. Correct for the period too. Irish used them with their percussion guns at Creedmoor in 1874.
The Soule sight was patented in the USA in 1889 so really of the breech loading era, and way after the famous long range international matches at Creedmoor. Not really period correct for a British match rifle of the 1860s/70s, although a popular choice today and widely used on repros.

David

Doctor Goodwins Orthoptic was not originally a sight as such but a means of focusing the eye onto middle and fore sights to make them appear to be printed on a paper. ..... The case and sights shown by DeBrevit looks like the sights made by the late Rex Holbrook and supplied to order by P/H with their .451" Whitworth, Henry or Rigby Military Match Rifles. These were also normally supplied with David's Monk Rigby Match rifles. The one on the Pedersoli Gibbs may be one by Mike Neuman in RSA or from Pedersoli. OLD DOG
Much myth and misconception about the original Goodwin Orthoptic sight, especially for something that had such a fleeting existence in the early 1860s, maybe just 2 or 3 years. Despite the advertising claims by some of todays makers for 'Goodwin inspired' sights, manufacture of the original ceased long before the opening of Creedmoor rifle range in the USA in 1873. Modern repros. have little in common with the original other than the offset staff and windage adjustment.

Full details of the cased set of Parker-Hale Goodwin sights posted previously are on my web site.

David

On some guns I do. At 69 years old they do help. I usually end up opening the apperage to get a clearer sight picture. jae

View attachment 28222
Just purchased this one to go on .54 Lyman Trade rifle.

I saw that one. If you search that same sight, you will see another seller offering various aperture sizes. I am not sure how that will work on a Lyman Trade, but; on a TC Renegade I needed a 0.58 high globe. Lyman 17 AUG. I am just about bottomed out with the AUG.

I had assumed Lyman made these for TC. The disks do not match anything else I have, Lyman, Williams or others. . The thread pitch is 10-24 Now, I think TC made these. The hole is around 0.075 by memory. It is good compromise size. I want to try a 0.05 on paper. For hunting 0.09 or larger would be better. I may drill one out. An industrious person could drill out some 10-24 screws with washers. Or replace the little backing plate with one drilled and tapped for Lyman disks. Those look like some typical gun tap. Maybe 40 pitch.

It maybe obvious, but; I missed it at first. There is a little Allen set screw for windage. Very handy to retain that setting. Mine froze up and I drilled it out. It now has a knurled set screw. I think I have a photo. I am little worried that it may come loose and fall out. I may want a lock nut. A work in progress.

Attachments

• Windage.JPG
    Windage.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 126
GREENSWYLDE is Not prepared to become involved in any further discussion on this subject. There was Much very heated correspondence in MLAGB press when the P/H Holbrook Sight was introduced as The GOODWIN Sight. The man with 2 feet and a Large Hole between was not there when all this happened.. As MLAGB No.(£ I WAS .. Page 31 of BURY shows No range marking on Blanch's Dr.Goodwin's Orthoptic and Should refer back to page No.28 where there is a detailed drawing of Mr. Metford OFF SET PILLAR Sight.. In the same paper there as reference to a Rifle of about 1600 in the Earl of Warwick's collection with sights with small holes..VERY OLD DOG No.93..

My Volunteer came with these 3 sight. I removed the one that was attached because I can only shot 50 yd’s at the moment and thought the sights were for long range shooting. Would one of these be suitable for 50yds? Normally I would fit one and shoot it but with the lockdown it’s impossible, so just wondering if anyone does it now.

Attachments

• C0D4540F-7183-4B57-A2DA-701784E3FF23.jpeg
    C0D4540F-7183-4B57-A2DA-701784E3FF23.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 139
Sorry I posted a couple of pictures that upset people, all I posted was "a set I would like to have" in a thread about a type of sight not a brand/maker.
Mr Greenswlde, if it upsets you so, don't open and read the thread, again everyone I apologize for posting pictures I thought were of a nice complete sight set (case and tools) of the type being discussed.

My Volunteer came with these 3 sight. ...... Would one of these be suitable for 50yds? .....
With the straight stock of the Volunteer I don’t think you’d get the sight on the left low enough for 50 yards. The other rearsight may do. They appear typical sights of the period, with elevation adjustment on the rearsight and windage on the foresight.

David

..... posting pictures I thought were of a nice complete sight set (case and tools) of the type being discussed.
Rex Holbrook did do a good of making those sights. Mine didn’t come in a nice case such as used by P-H but Rex did fit them to a rifle for me. He made two variants of the Goodwin inspired sight the second version had a better vernier scale and were slightly more robust.

David

Back