• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who all uses peeps on their percussion guns.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using a TC tang peep on a Renegade I use for target shooting many years now . Recently I installed a William's FP Hawken tang on my TC Hawken rifle.

I love the longer sight radius and they just make getting on target so much faster.
I really got my sites set on a Lymans GPR .54 percussion as my next big target plinker. It'll be set up just for distance shooting. (I've been leaving catalogs and such around the house as hints) but if that don't work I got one of those big pretzel jugs in my room almost full of quarters, dimes and nickels. Might just be enough!

Love the aft action Hawkins style gun with the patch box. Real eye candy! How's it shoot?
It's kinda off topic but since you asked, that is a Pedersoli Tryon rifle in .45 caliber.
1585848507751.png

With it's straight 1" octagon X 32" long barrel, 1:48 twist with .006" deep rifling.
It weighs in at a respectable 9 3/4 pounds, most of the weight being out in front of the supporting hand.

It's an exceptional shooter. Much more accurate than I can shoot it but it does like a tight patch/ball combination.

Here's a link to Pedersoli's information about it.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...r_109/rifles-tryon-tryon-target-standard.html

It's kinda off topic but since you asked, that is a Pedersoli Tryon rifle in .45 caliber.
View attachment 27609

With it's straight 1" octagon X 32" long barrel, 1:48 twist with .006" deep rifling.
It weighs in at a respectable 9 3/4 pounds, most of the weight being out in front of the supporting hand.

It's an exceptional shooter. Much more accurate than I can shoot it but it does like a tight patch/ball combination.

Here's a link to Pedersoli's information about it.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...r_109/rifles-tryon-tryon-target-standard.html
That would look great over any fireplace. (And just so we're not off topic) is the rear site tapped into the tang?

That would look great over any fireplace. (And just so we're not off topic) is the rear site tapped into the tang?
Yes. It has a tang mounted medium range ladder style sight mounted.
The elevation is controlled by the thumb screw but the windage is kinda funky because you have to unscrew the eyepiece, move the sight sideways and then retighten the eye piece.

There was a time when Dixie Gun Works offered these sights at a pretty fair price so I bought it along with the tubular front sight. The front sight has several different inserts that can be installed into it offering a narrow post, a wide post, cross hairs, and a insert that looks like another "peep" sight with a hole thru it.
I use the narrow post in it so it looks like a real front sight.

What a timely post. I just acquired a nice little peep site and I'm saving up my "pop bottle deposit money" for a heavy barrel Lyman double set trigger, percussion GPR just for target shooting. I was wondering if there was somebody out there who'd done that. I like the idea that it won't detract from the historical reference too much. Got any pictures? We love pictures!
NeilView attachment 27606

I suspect (or expect) you will find that sight will be too high for any of the Hawkin type guns. I was able to use that on an modern 1885 and it is a nice sight. And maybe it will work. I had to go a much lower with a different sight on my TC Renegade. Even with a lower rear peep, I also installed a globe in front that got me some height.

I suspect (or expect) you will find that sight will be too high for any of the Hawkin type guns. I was able to use that on an modern 1885 and it is a nice sight. And maybe it will work. I had to go a much lower with a different sight on my TC Renegade. Even with a lower rear peep, I also installed a globe in front that got me some height.
You're about the third person who's told me about the site/rifle setup you're using so that might well be an option. It clearly delivers what I'm trying to get. I got the site from a friend and I'd love to try it but just to be safe, I got a pretty good Smith about an HR away and I'll have him tell me what I can do when the time comes. I try to make very small mistakes if I can help it, lol
Neil

I put a Vernier tang sight on the stock of my Zouave and a Lyman globe on front. I could give a hoot what anyone says, I like it. I think you guys meant no peeps for competition? At just a shooting range who would care?

I put a Vernier tang sight on the stock of my Zouave and a Lyman globe on front. I could give a hoot what anyone says, I like it. I think you guys meant no peeps for competition? At just a shooting range who would care?
Oh I'm not joining any new clubs that have a dress code for my gun. I just want it to shoot better then it came out of the box, or more precisely, "I" want to shoot it better then it did out of the box! Lol.
I could care less how another person's gun looks but I do like when it looks like something that could have existed back in the day.
Neil

Oh I'm not joining any new clubs that have a dress code for my gun. I just want it to shoot better then it came out of the box, or more precisely, "I" want to shoot it better then it did out of the box! Lol.
I could care less how another person's gun looks but I do like when it looks like something that could have existed back in the day.
Neil
I hear ya. I'd stop at scoping it for sure. Ian

This website has two somewhat independent websites under one umbrella. This muzzleloadingforum and modernmuzzleloader. I registered for both because while they both overlap when it comes to TC, Lyman and what they call sidelocks, there is so much great and non overlapping coverage. If you want low down on authentic period arms, this place is tops. The other is a little more, lets say open or modern. They talk a little more old TC over there.

I like it all. I cannot get enough. And I an pretty sure, nobody actually minds what anyone does to a modern replica. it is all individual preferences and nothing personal.

This website has two somewhat independent websites under one umbrella. This muzzleloadingforum and modernmuzzleloader. I registered for both because while they both overlap when it comes to TC, Lyman and what they call sidelocks, there is so much great and non overlapping coverage. If you want low down on authentic period arms, this place is tops. The other is a little more, lets say open or modern. They talk a little more old TC over there.

I like it all. I cannot get enough. And I an pretty sure, nobody actually minds what anyone does to a modern replica. it is all individual preferences and nothing personal.
I'm the same way. I do have an original 1861 Bridesberg that I went through great pains to return to it's original configuration. But reproductions have very little if any real provenance.
75120.jpeg

Years ago I bought one of those Cabelas Hawken rifle kits. Put it together and installed a Lyman globe front sight, and a TC rear adjustable peep sight. Holy moly that rifle shoots tight groups at 100 yards from the bench or cross sticks. It makes for fun shooting mounted blue rock at 100 yards as well. Set up and shoot your MLR as you see fit for your own enjoyment, and develop the marksman within your own self.

Ack, I meant to put these photos in the Peep sights on my rifle thread.

I put a couple of peep sights on my rifles back when the old T/C Vernier tang sight was available and cheap.
View attachment 27780
This rifle is a Franken "Hawken" with a T/C breech, lock, triggers and trigger guard, with a Sharon Barrel.

View attachment 27781
This one had the T/C Vernier sight with the T/C globe front sight. Very similar to the Lyman sights.

The T/C kit rifle.

View attachment 27782

You would loosen the threaded fastener as the back of the peep and adjust a set screw to the left of the sight for windage and tighten the screw at the back to lock windage in place.

Latest posts

Back