• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who all uses peeps on their percussion guns.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ned Roberts recalled that "lollipop" peep sights started becoming common on percussion rifles after about 1840, and some target shooters used a "tube" sight the full length of the barrel. Billinghurst and Wesson rifles often came with peeps.

I shot a small club in WV that consider them an unfair advantage, just a matter of time before their attitude changes to accomodate their failing vision. I just can't focus w/o them. It's amusing to buy old rifles with several dovetails cut to accomodate the original owners aging vision.
I bought a used 1863 rifle and it has a unertyl type base on the front and rear for a period style scope it came with. Then it had a pair of holes in front of the front base and 2 more sets of holes on the rear of the barrel and a pair of holes on the tange. I wonder if it was eye sight or just trying to find the right sight system. It is a Farmingdale IIRC.

GibbsSightRear.jpg

Here's the sight on my Pedersoli Gibbs. From South Africa, I believe. Got it from Joe Hepsworth.

I have several. All of them have Lyman 57 SML peeps and 17 AML globes with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts.

wX2ZKaK.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

Zgun2mL.jpg

This one is my favorite. The Hot Rod Hawken. Its a 45 that shoots a Paper Patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet. It is accurate to way out there, and then some.

vhIbDpW.jpg

Reskite, that looks like the famous Dr. Goodwin orthoptic sight. I bought a Gibbs from Joe, too, some years ago. Gee it was fun talking to him on the phone. What a fine ambassador for long-range muzzleloading he was, God rest his soul.

Yes, he was a true gentleman. Very good salesman, too. I believe you are correct about the Dr. Goodwin sight. Wonder what "orthoptic" means? Fancy term for adjustable? I bought it because I wanted to try something authentic, but if I had to travel in rough country I expect I'd be using one of my Soule sights from Steve Baldwin. They aren't as delicate but still work really well.

Yes, he was a true gentleman. Very good salesman, too. I believe you are correct about the Dr. Goodwin sight. Wonder what "orthoptic" means? Fancy term for adjustable? I bought it because I wanted to try something authentic, but if I had to travel in rough country I expect I'd be using one of my Soule sights from Steve Baldwin. They aren't as delicate but still work really well.
Orthoptic produces normal vision

My .58 caliber New Englander wears a Williams peep sight.
Same here with my .58 High Plains Sporter. Which becomes a .54 or a .50 and in the future, a .45 bullet shooter.

I have several. All of them have Lyman 57 SML peeps and 17 AML globes with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts.

wX2ZKaK.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

Zgun2mL.jpg

This one is my favorite. The Hot Rod Hawken. Its a 45 that shoots a Paper Patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet. It is accurate to way out there, and then some.

vhIbDpW.jpg

Ron, who did the trigger guard spurs on your single trigger guns? I’m considering something similar or else a bolt on pistol grip like the Springfield Officers Model rifles wore. I’m weak as a kitten right now with the Covid virus but as soon as I’m up and around I’ll be moving forward on a bunch of these projects. Thanks.

Ron, who did the trigger guard spurs on your single trigger guns? I’m considering something similar or else a bolt on pistol grip like the Springfield Officers Model rifles wore.

I made them my self. I brazed them since I didn't have a wire feed welder. I filled the gaps with JB weld. then I painted them black.
JB and paint was a little Ghetto but it works. The finger hook allows me to snug the rifle into my shoulder like I do with my Hawken.

a4OIsIZ.jpg

OWZZhWi.jpg

QU6vPOp.jpg

What a timely post. I just aquired a nice little peep site and I'm saving up my "pop bottle deposit money" for a heavy barrel Lyman double set trigger, percussion GPR just for target shooting. I was wondering if there was sombody out there who'd done that. I like the idea that it won't detract from the historical reference too much. Got any pictures? We love pictures!
NeilView attachment 27606
I like that sight! Where does it come from?
Fred

Hi,
Would there be a market for a tube sight???
I have looked, and can find almost nothing.
Any suggestions where to look?
And is there any advantage from tube to typical aperture sights?
Thanks for any input.
Fred

Back