• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who all likes the carbines?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home shop made 3/8" aluminum. Tapped on both ends for jags or handle. I had a 12' bar left over from a job and made a few range rods, then converted one for this.

I like my artillery carbine which is a smoothie, and I always really liked my TC New Englander...so much that I got the 12 gauge barrel for it, and then gave it to my son as a graduation gift two years ago. (When it comes to firearms, he isn't shy about voicing objections if they give him problems ;) ) AH patience is a learned trait. 😬 I've owned a couple jaegers in my lifetime too...

LD

I'm a big fan of the TC White Mountain Carbine. Recently picked up a Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine barrel that will fit on the same stock.

Yes the Hawken Barrel will fit a WMC stock but it's no longer considered a carbine unless your willing to shorten the barrel as well.

You’re right of course. What it does is make a small (perhaps a ladies or youths) rifle in appearance much like a Gibbs target or English Sporter. And the flat shotgun style butt would be more comfortable for ladies and youths as well.

Years ago Cabelas had hawkin carbines listed with the regular. I ordered a .58 and it looked pretty silly, they should have shortened the stock too, was only a few inches from stock cap.. Sent it back same day!

I am very much into 100 yd grouping tho, these days I would have shot it first. I think longer barrels are cooler (into the rev war era mainly) but would sure keep a short shooter.

I love carbines and have several, a tc white mountain, a tc buckeye carbine (white mtn carbine with a shorter barrel and tang site) a Kentucky carbine thst I threw together from miscellaneous parts, and and Italian repro trade gun. Not sure if theyre really carbines but have 2 tc seneca and a cherokee. They carry pretty well. I even prefer carbines in my unmentionable guns during regular deer season.

20200420_174201.jpg

.45 Hawken
.45 Seneca
.36 Seneca
.32 Cherokee
All TCs

I shot N-SSA for twelve years. Very competitive with the 2-band Parker Hale Enfield and Remington 1858. But a recent review of my medals shows that I Won more medals with my Parker Hale Enfield Muskettoon than any other gun I shot. The short barrel was no handicap over the 2-bander.
that has been my experience as well. when shooting open sights within 100 yds, there is no practical difference between my hits with a 24 in barrel vs a 40 in barrel.

to the OP, ive always preferred a shorter barrel. 24-26” on a hunting ML, 32-33” on a military rifle, 36” on my flintlock “long”rifles. interested in a 32” jaeger or, dream wish list, a baker rifle.

One of the latest experiments is a medium twist .52 bore flinter Renegade, seeking the balance of handy weight versus deadliness and recoil, in what I consider to be the modern day every man's analog to the jaeger hunting rifles.
.515 round ball or heavy duty long range, got it covered.

Back