• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

who all likes the carbines?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just sitting here looking at my rifles as I wipe them down, who all likes the carbines? I love them 90 percent of the time I grab one of my short .54s Carbine to me starts with my lyman deerstalker .54 and shorter. my white mountain carbines are my favorite. ive got a couple of renegades bored to .58 may get those barrels trimmed to 22 inches. I own quite a few long rifles now but the get used sparingly ,except my tc hawken with a green mountain .54 1-66 twist and my pedersoli Kodiak double .72

I've only got one carbine. In fact, I've only got one m/l rifle of any kind - a Parker-Hale Musketoon from 1972.

I've had it since 1974.

So I like it.

I really love my restocked and refurnatured TC .54 Renegade caplock. That 26” barrel is real handy. However my .50 GPR flint to cap conversion holds a special place in my heart.
Walk

I’ve got a couple of the white mountain carbines and like them although I’m thinking of selling one to fund a longer bbl. .45 for long range targets. I really like 26” barrels, a good compromise imo.

I had a Deerhunter with a 24" barrel but gave it to a grandson. Too short for my eyes! Have a TC hawken with a 28 and a renegade with 58 cal TC hawken barrel that is 28. A GPR with it's 32 is much easier on my eyes but I'm slowly getting a 54 built with a 42" barrel.

I shot N-SSA for twelve years. Very competitive with the 2-band Parker Hale Enfield and Remington 1858. But a recent review of my medals shows that I Won more medals with my Parker Hale Enfield Muskettoon than any other gun I shot. The short barrel was no handicap over the 2-bander.

The longer barreled guns are easier for my old eyes to shoot. Short guns are great for brush busting or in a tree stand, but i prefer the long barrels more for nostalgia sake

I have this one in 58 cal with a swivel ramrod and bar and saddle ring ( barrel bands are not on it in the pic )

image.jpg

Of my carbines, Sharps, Smith and Parker Hale musketoon, I'd have to say the musketoon is my favorite. It's short, handy, and give up nothing to my longer barrel guns.

Love my .54 Renegade for a hunting rifle. 26" barrel works great for me here in Vermont. I have a shorter .50 CVA with a 24" barrel, 1-66" twist, shoots good, but its not fun to shoot with the hard brass, curved butt plate. The lock is also funky, and I would love to find a replacement lock for it.

Most hunting in the bush, I like to carry the shorter barrel rifle. I had a Zouave that had been cut down and sold it, but I have an abused one in the shop now that has a heavy pitted muzzle. It is a good candidate for converting into a mounted rifle, or carbine.

Back