• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Who’s coned their smooth bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably never going to do any of my rifles but been thinking of doing a .62 Smooth bore. Who’s done it and what are your thoughts?

I haven't shot or even seen a smoothbore that was coned. I'm having trouble understanding why you'd want it coned, but hey, it's yours. Whatever floats your boat.

Many 18th century fowling pieces proper had their muzzles relieved. I guess one could call this a type of coned muzzle but it was not designed for shooting patched balls as that was not a thing in the period for smooth guns. While this was in no way a choke, it was one of the early attempts to make stronger shot patterns.
Pictured below are two "Griffin" pattern barrels (actually based on a Spanish barrel off of a Griffin gun), one has been relieved at the muzzle and the other is as made.

Attachments

• 20200602_164230.jpg
    20200602_164230.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 54
Many 18th century fowling pieces proper had their muzzles relieved. I guess one could call this a type of coned muzzle but it was not designed for shooting patched balls as that was not a thing in the period for smooth guns. While this was in no way a choke, it was one of the early attempts to make stronger shot patterns.
Pictured below are two "Griffin" pattern barrels (actually based on a Spanish barrel off of a Griffin gun), one has been relieved at the muzzle and the other is as made.
Interesting, kind if back bored but from the other end.

Back