• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitworth stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave951

62 Cal.
Reaction score
During the War of Northern Aggression, the Confederacy bought a small number of very, very high tech expensive rifles from the Whitworth Co. In the 1860s, a Whitworth was the ultimate rifle. It cost far, far more than a regular rifle and was acknowledged to be among the most accurate rifles of the day and it still holds a mystique and reputation few rifles have every attained. In the hands of a talented marksman, lethal hits past 800yd were not only possible, but happened on more than one documented occasion, a general named Sedgewick comes to mind here. Of the rifles purchased by the Confederacy, no more than 250 made it through the Federal blockade and very few of those still survive to this day. The surviving Whitworths with Confederate provenance fetch well over $150,000. Of the surviving rifles, there are extremely few examples that still have the accoutraments and none have the original case.

So where does that figure in here? Well a friend of mine has a replica Whitworth and he was showing me the boxes and accoutraments that came with the Whitworth. He commented that he'd like a box for his rifle like the originals had. Well, I have a wood shop and I sorta know how to use a couple tools. Here's a picture of an original civlian Whitworth in an original case. This is a civilian model sold to the public in England. No actual Confederate military case survives as far as anyone knows.
Box2.png

And here's the one I just finished for my shooting buddy. Wood is red oak locally harvested. Partitions are poplar, also locally harvested. Inlay band is black walnut that is at least 150yrs old that came from an old NC tobacco barn. Shout out to PathfinderNC for doing the computer magic on the label to get it looking like a new one. And another shout out to David at Research Press in England for sending me a clean jpg file of an original label. Original box had no lining, but this one has a forest green felt lining.
IMG_20220319_143222.jpg

IMG_20220319_143658.jpg

IMG_20220319_143708.jpg

During the War of Northern Aggression, the Confederacy bought a small number of very, very high tech expensive rifles from the Whitworth Co. In the 1860s, a Whitworth was the ultimate rifle. It cost far, far more than a regular rifle and was acknowledged to be among the most accurate rifles of the day and it still holds a mystique and reputation few rifles have every attained. In the hands of a talented marksman, lethal hits past 800yd were not only possible, but happened on more than one documented occasion, a general named Sedgewick comes to mind here. Of the rifles purchased by the Confederacy, no more than 250 made it through the Federal blockade and very few of those still survive to this day. The surviving Whitworths with Confederate provenance fetch well over $150,000. Of the surviving rifles, there are extremely few examples that still have the accoutraments and none have the original case.

So where does that figure in here? Well a friend of mine has a replica Whitworth and he was showing me the boxes and accoutraments that came with the Whitworth. He commented that he'd like a box for his rifle like the originals had. Well, I have a wood shop and I sorta know how to use a couple tools. Here's a picture of an original civlian Whitworth in an original case. This is a civilian model sold to the public in England. No actual Confederate military case survives as far as anyone knows.
View attachment 129089

And here's the one I just finished for my shooting buddy. Wood is red oak locally harvested. Partitions are poplar, also locally harvested. Inlay band is black walnut that is at least 150yrs old that came from an old NC tobacco barn. Shout out to PathfinderNC for doing the computer magic on the label to get it looking like a new one. And another shout out to David at Research Press in England for sending me a clean jpg file of an original label. Original box had no lining, but this one has a forest green felt lining.
View attachment 129090

View attachment 129094

View attachment 129096

View attachment 129089

And here's the one I just finished for my shooting buddy. Wood is red oak locally harvested. Partitions are poplar, also locally harvested. Inlay band is black walnut that is at least 150yrs old that came from an old NC tobacco barn. Shout out to PathfinderNC for doing the computer magic on the label to get it looking like a new one. And another shout out to David at Research Press in England for sending me a clean jpg file of an original label. Original box had no lining, but this one has a forest green felt linin

View attachment 129089

View attachment 129090

View attachment 129094

View attachment 129096
i need 1

Beautiful! I've been thinking/looking for something like that for my original heavy barrel target rifle. Just haven't found anyone local to do it.

Mike

View attachment 129089

View attachment 129090

View attachment 129094

View attachment 129096

Any chance of getting the measurements for the case ?
I don't work from plans. I had the rifle and went from there. It was a 100% custom piece. I often work from a picture like that of the original case.

Absolutely beautiful case. Top notch craftmanship! Where did you source the hardware components, local or online?

I'm in the planning stages to build a case for my Pedersoli Kodiak 54 caliber double rifle. Have sourced the wood, already purchased the green felt, just need to find and procure the needed hardware.

Hoping to start construction of the rifle case this summer.

Where did he find the accassories to go in the case?
You'll have to scrounge to find the rest of the stuff. There is a set of rose wood handle screwdrivers, blued and hollow ground on Amazon that are dead ringers for originals. A sling isn't hard to source. An authentic mold might be the hardest thing to find.

You'll have to scrounge to find the rest of the stuff. There is a set of rose wood handle screwdrivers, blued and hollow ground on Amazon that are dead ringers for originals. A sling isn't hard to source. An authentic mold might be the hardest thing to find.
Peter Dyson makes a replica mold

Back