• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Whitworth noob questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been follow the other threads...

Just did a trade for a Euroarms/PH transition Whitworth rifle. Made by Euro but fitted with a PH barrel as they used up the remaining production parts.

Does anyone make bullets I can buy? If I need to cast my own, can someone please post a few links to the recommended mold?

I see that the Italian makers make a mold (Pedersoli? Maybe others) but I would prefer better quality than we normally see from them. But...maybe theirs are good enough?

An HC scope is likely not an option, so what rear caliper sight would the group here recommend?

Is there a rear sight design available that was actually used on these rifles during the War of Northern Aggression?

Last edited:
If your wanting a Hex, ones I can think of:
Pedersoli
Leon Craneon (sp?)
KAL Tool

Soft round conicals will work as well.
A starter bullet is the Lyman 451114 Volunteer bullet.
You can also purchase 0.442” paper patch bullets from Buffalo Arms.

Is there a rear sight design available that was actually used on these rifles during the War of Northern Aggression?
The barrel mounted rearsight you have on the rifle is likely what was used during the War, excepting the side mounted Davidson scope. I don’t recall seeing any documented Civil War Whitworths with aperture sights. The aperture sight was used at the time in the U.K. for target shooting with the Whitworth and other rifles. If you want a contemporary design then they were almost invariably elevation adjustment on the rearsight and windage on the foresight.

If you opt for one of the Soule style rearsights (which actually post date the Whitworth by 20-30 years) with elevation and windage adjustment then you may find you can’t lower it enough for short range shooting. If you don’t want to mount the sight directly on the stock, Pedersoli make a sight base for their Whitworth & Volunteer, but I don’t know if it will fit the Euroarms. Again this will raise the sight, and I believe some have then had to fit a taller foresight.

Hopefully others who have the repros. will be able to advise on the pros and cons of specific sights.

David

It has been an interesting, slightly frustrating and a bit of an expensive journey for me so far. I’m currently trying to develop a load before I consider tang target sights.
As mentioned, the P53 Enfield family doesn’t have much drop between tang and comb, so a tang sight will likely require a tall front sight.
Don’t assume the .451 on the barrel is actually the bore size. Mine is something like .446-.447. I bought the KAL hexagonal mould which casts bullets at .440, then paper patch them up to a slip fit in the bore. However looking back I could have saved a lot of money and found a cylindrical mould of appropriate size.

Great replies. Thank you.

Is the barrel mounted ladder sight of sufficient quality? I have several rifles that I have updated with Rich Cross made rear sights...as we say in South Texas, they are More Better.

2. On the mold size...working backwards from the bore size, what thickness of paper patch is considered ideal?

I get the gun next week. Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

What’s a good load suggestion for a conical bullet in these hex bores? More powder to upset them into the grooves, or less to keep from making a mess of them?

Great replies. Thank you.

Is the barrel mounted ladder sight of sufficient quality? I have several rifles that I have updated with Rich Cross made rear sights...as we say in South Texas, they are More Better.

2. On the mold size...working backwards from the bore size, what thickness of paper patch is considered ideal?

I get the gun next week. Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

What’s a good load suggestion for a conical bullet in these hex bores? More powder to upset them into the grooves, or less to keep from making a mess of them?
There are many more experienced whitworth shooters than myself that can give you a better answer. My opinion thus far is to cast from soft lead so the cylindrical bullet obturates into the hexagonal shape.
So far 65 grains of ffg has given me the best group at 100 meters (But it wasn’t really a good group, just the best of a bad bunch). I doubt 65gr will be sufficient for long shots however.

The paper I use is .002 thou thick.

The ladder military sights on the rifle are very well made. They would be great combat sights, but not precise target sights

If your wanting a Hex, ones I can think of:
Pedersoli
Leon Craneon (sp?)
KAL Tool

Soft round conicals will work as well.
A starter bullet is the Lyman 451114 Volunteer bullet.
You can also purchase 0.442” paper patch bullets from Buffalo Arms.

Leo Kranen mould change hands for upwards of $1000 these days. He now no longer makes them.

KAL in Manitoba make one for around $300.

I have a contact on Jersey CI who is going to be able to make one to your exact specs - in the near future. PM me with your email for details.

The Pedsersoli mould makes a very nice bullet - it does require some warm-up time to cast, as the nose is a separate piece.

1630247040022.png

a. Nekkid Pedersoli bullets as cast.
b. KAL bullets with and without pp.
c. PP'd Pedersoli bullets in 9# onionskin paper and d. in thin magazine paper.

Back